CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rapping 800 Outlander engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rapping 800 Outlander engine

Fast as I can - I have this information on a number of forums with little help.
I live in a remote Alaskan village and can't just drive on down to my dealer. It's a 5 day, $1800 ordeal!!!
There are 3 07 800 Outlanders in my village. Two of them sound like a Roll Royce. Mine sounds like a thrashing machine. The engine - not the clutch - raps. It's real bad when first started and settles down a bit warmed up and varies some with rpm.
Had it to my dealer and he fixed a bunch of stuff on warranty. This is a GOOD dealer but he has seen so many of these things with this rapping he said "Well, some do and some don't, if it breaks we'll fix it under warranty." I also had him in a rush as he was working hard to meet my time frame so I wouldn't have to leave the machine there and pay a whole lot more to have it shipped back to me.
Trouble is walking home 10 miles out from the village through Brown Bear country is NO fun and at 61 I don't care to do it.
The noise seems to emanate from the middle front right side of the engine (the right as you are sitting on it). The dealer said the valves were well within spec and what he could see of the chain guides looked good and the chain was taught. I changed the oil and filter and found no metal on the magnet of the drain plug and no plastic bits in the oil or filter housing. There were no 'events' recorded on the ECM.
The machine seems to run just fine. But the rapping is driving me absolutely nuts. Someone should at least know what causes something that occurs in some machines (of the same kind - similar hours - and similar use) and not others.
I called BRP and they just referred me back to the dealer.
SURELY SOMEONE HAS THE ANSWER TO THIS APPARENT MYSTERY!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

call can am ask them they should find the proplem i heard the brakes sound bad might it be that

Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Called BRP who simply referred my back to my dealer. How I miss the days when you could call the Harley factory and actually talk to techs who would help you personally. No one has done that for a long time.
I don't blame the dealers, particularly small dealers in rural areas who simply cannot afford to send their service personnel to every school and seminar. The just don't have all the answers. BRP did give me a reference number to give to my dealer and all I can do is hope he calls and discovers a fix.
I can't believe that if this is "normal" more people have not noticed the difference between like machines and made more of an issue of it. $11K is a lot of loot to put down for an atv and if one runs smooth as silk and another raps like an old thrashing machine - something just isn't right.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know if my engine started "rapping" I would drive it off a cliff - I can't stand that damn music!!!
Seriously, after how many hours did this problem surface? You may want to call the plant in Valcourt, PQ directly. Granted, the Outty's are now starting to be built in Juarez, Mexico, but you may be able to fid some answers up in Valcourt. Or, find a number to the Rotax plant in Austria. I understand that Rotax is building a plant down in Juarez as well which is actually going to be inside the BRP plant for the sequencing of engines lineside (400, 500, 650, and 800 engines). So, I'm sure they have some engineering talent down there in Juarez to help educate the labor force.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

11k i take it you bought a ltd i like will soon
i found a 07 for 9169 out the door safed enough to buy a new trailer skid plate tags and a one year pass at the local park

Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got a Max XT - in Alaska which help account for the high price. Did get a few goodies with it - or was supposed to have - which is another story - which is why I ditched the original dealer.
Anyway - IF you get a good one you won't be sorry. Rapping noise notwithstanding it is an awesome machine. I badly embarrassed a friend this weekend on his Polaris 800. He was solo and I was two up with my wife. He simply could not climb the hills we did and I would beat him up every hill he could climb. At the end of the day I had over a 1/4 of fuel left and he was bone dry. It was no contest.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

I had a rapping sound also. Couldn't tell where it was coming from. I swore at first it was in the front, then thought it was in the engine, then finally concluded it was in the front universal joint of the rear drive shaft. Grease it and see if it goes away a little bit. Check for play also.

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Grease m every 20 hours or less depending on how wet we get. They are tight.
I found that by placing a screw driver blade on various parts of the engine while running with my ear on the handle I could locate the sound more or less at the front of the engine on the right side down about the level of the oil filter. Can't get much more exact than that. Can tell you that I've had over 40 years of driving my wife plumb nuts dithering over and locating engine sounds. One time everyone thought I was gone wacky when I obsessed over a ticking sound that was out of synch with the engine. After several months of complaining about it the dealer finally agreed to check it out with the agreement that if he found nothing wrong I would pay. I told him to go for it. His very capable mechanic found a lifter roller off center by about .015" which was causing the out of synch clicking. Replacing the lifter cured it and he footed the bill. That was in 1983 when Harley Davidson was still struggling with quality control issues.
All this to say I'm dead certain this phantom racket IS coming from the engine itself.
But I remain thankful that someone is trying to help with this so the above is NOT a criticism. Thanks for taking the time to offer a suggestion I honestly appreciate all of them.
Ron

Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you tried atvfrontier.com? There is alot more outy info over there.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll give the atvfrontier a try. Don't think I've been there before - - - - Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rapping 800 Outlander engine