CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

gade 800 vs raptor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gade 800 vs raptor

In calling it I tried to be at least fair, when I say stock it is difficult to find a quad on sand that dosent have at least a pipe and filter,I raced my buddies 450 honda and he had the 3, just because he wanted to race and out of 3 times the rene beat 3 x to the top of the hill.I race in 4x4 because I have dunestars on the front and 14 paddle on back. Looks stupid but is good traction.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kas379

It's a question that can't really be answered without making an assumption. The question is, "how would it do against a Raptor" meaning what exactly. The term "against" is open for interpretation. They're too different to compare in the genre each of them are intended for.

Agreed!!! Sounds as if you wrecked your Reny do you plan on getting another one?

Back in January, I clipped a tree in a very tight trail. In short, even though I was only going less than ten miles an hour, the frame bent. I have explained this over and over and most people dont want to hear it, but the frames will absorb the energy from an impact to the front wheels before the a arms. I have never seen a frame bend before a set of a arms on a quad before from a slow speed impact to the front wheel. Hence I never foreseen needing collision insurance on an ATV. I do NOW. Three thousand dollars and four months later I recently got it back. Any other ATV would have needed a new set of a arms, maybe a five hundred dollar repair. I will never ride it again without collision. It will happen again, it wasn't the kind of mishap you'd expect a frame to bend from. Love the power, love the looks and performance, hate the durability of the frame. Now I'm sure I'll get plenty of messages from idiots saying you shouldn't hit trees, or they've seen their Renegade rolled several times without a bent frame blah blah blah..... and that may be, but if you hit something with the front wheel, you can expect the fame to absorb the energy before the a arms. Those a arms are a lot stronger than the frame. I'd personally rather have a stronger frame than weaker a arms. The narrow spar frame is too narrow to properly dispurse the energy from a slow speed impact. Now I'm by no means an Arctic Cat fan, but I saw someone on a 500 hit a tree with their left wheel, and going at least three times as fast or better. The racks were smashed back, plastic was all smashed in, it was a mess, and he was hurt pretty bad, but guess what, what should be the strongest part of the quad, (the frame) looked fine. Imagine that. I personally would not buy an AC but, point being, on almost any other quad, the frame is the strongest part of the four wheeler and it should be. After all, that's what keeps the whole quad together, and that's basically what you're riding. I think Can Am focuses too much on keeping their frames light and sacrifice durability. In the case of the Renegade, I think they used the lightest frame design available to help offset the weight of that awesome V twin. Now if Yamaha would only make their Grizzly perform just as well as my Renegade I wouldn't think twice about trading my Renegade for one, or maybe Honda will come out with a hot Rincon that was comparable to a Renegade.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kas379

Originally posted by: kas379

It's a question that can't really be answered without making an assumption. The question is, "how would it do against a Raptor" meaning what exactly. The term "against" is open for interpretation. They're too different to compare in the genre each of them are intended for.

Agreed!!! Sounds as if you wrecked your Reny do you plan on getting another one?

Back in January, I clipped a tree in a very tight trail. In short, even though I was only going less than ten miles an hour, the frame bent. I have explained this over and over and most people dont want to hear it, but the frames will absorb the energy from an impact to the front wheels before the a arms. I have never seen a frame bend before a set of a arms on a quad before from a slow speed impact to the front wheel. Hence I never foreseen needing collision insurance on an ATV. I do NOW. Three thousand dollars and four months later I recently got it back. Any other ATV would have needed a new set of a arms, maybe a five hundred dollar repair. I will never ride it again without collision. It will happen again, it wasn't the kind of mishap you'd expect a frame to bend from. Love the power, love the looks and performance, hate the durability of the frame. Now I'm sure I'll get plenty of messages from idiots saying you shouldn't hit trees, or they've seen their Renegade rolled several times without a bent frame blah blah blah..... and that may be, but if you hit something with the front wheel, you can expect the fame to absorb the energy before the a arms. Those a arms are a lot stronger than the frame. I'd personally rather have a stronger frame than weaker a arms. The narrow spar frame is too narrow to properly dispurse the energy from a slow speed impact. Now I'm by no means an Arctic Cat fan, but I saw someone on a 500 hit a tree with their left wheel, and going at least three times as fast or better. The racks were smashed back, plastic was all smashed in, it was a mess, and he was hurt pretty bad, but guess what, what should be the strongest part of the quad, (the frame) looked fine. Imagine that. I personally would not buy an AC but, point being, on almost any other quad, the frame is the strongest part of the four wheeler and it should be. After all, that's what keeps the whole quad together, and that's basically what you're riding. I think Can Am focuses too much on keeping their frames light and sacrifice durability. In the case of the Renegade, I think they used the lightest frame design available to help offset the weight of that awesome V twin. Now if Yamaha would only make their Grizzly perform just as well as my Renegade I wouldn't think twice about trading my Renegade for one, or maybe Honda will come out with a hot Rincon that was comparable to a Renegade.</end quote></div>

I now want to take a closer look at my buddies Reny to see exactly what you are talking about. It has my mind going in circles on this one! Good to here you were ok even thoe it was a minor crash of sorts. I can tell you this to on my Popo I have hit trees, rocks and rolled my Popo and never have done more than cosmetic damage to it so I know Popo hold up pretty well to accedents as well.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Check out my pics and you can see where it bent

Old 05-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Love the replies lol!!!!!!!!!!!!everyones in such a battle here, let me specify two stock quads lined up in a 1/8 or 1/4 mile dirt track(straight away) in 4wd would i take the raptor, that goes for 660 and 700 all models.....there hasnt been a quad i could leave yet, i have a kfx 700 it was a race for a 3 seconds and i was gone, same goes with my buddies 05 450r........but i havent been up against the raptor...

Old 05-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Do a search on utube. There is at least one video showing the Rengade against a 700 Raptor. Looks to me like the Renegade won every race when they both got decent starts. Close enough that I think the rider makes the difference.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

I have raced my friends wifes 700 kawi that had the 3 small mods,He stayed with me to about 40 or so then I slowly pulled away. I was surprized the 700 ran as good as it did. Has anyone raced the Tcat?