CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Problems with HMF / HLS / GT Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with HMF / HLS / GT Thunder

After seeing an ad in a magazine about HLS shocks I contacted HLS (which is associated with HMF) about shocks for my Outlander. Here is the reply they sent:

Michael,

We are interested in designing an HLS shock setup for the Outlanders. If you can lend us your machine for a week, you get the shocks at no charge. If this is something you would like to do, call GT Thunder to see when they would like you to bring your machine over. The number is 330-674-7122.

Thanks

Mike--HMF

Here is the reply I got from GT Thunder:

Hey Mike, hope these help!

Take I-77 South to 30 W. towards Wooster

Follow 30 W. to the Brewster exit ( think it says 93 ) Brewster/Massillon maybe.

At end of exit ramp go left this will actually be 241 S.

Follow 241 S. All the way until you come into Benton. Small green sign blink and you will miss it...lol.

As soon as you come into Benton you will make the first left on CR 207.

Then make 1st right on TR 630.

We are at the top of the hill big red building!

See you June 9th!

Thanks,
Tawnya DeWitt
Office Manager
GT Thunder
6748 TR 630
Millersburg, OH 44654
330-674-7122 phone
330-674-2437 fax
www.gtthunder

Well, on June 9th I loaded up the quad and made the 300 mile trip from my house to Millersburg, Ohio. A trip that took 5 hours out and 5 hours back for a total of 600 miles. I dropped the quad off with GT Thunder and thought nothing more of it.

Today I called GT Thunder and asked if the quad would be ready by Monday, June 16th. From the reception I got it sounded bad from the start, but she suggested I call Joe at HMF. So I called Joe in Cleveland at (216) 631-6980 and the news I got was even worse. It seems that several weeks before, they had been to a race and had borrowed someone elses Outlander to develop the shocks. He said that he was sorry, but they could give me a discount on the shocks. He also said he'd call me back, today which he never did. Meanwhile my quad is still in Ohio and I have to make another 600 mile round trip just to get it. No new shocks, just a $200 + gasoline bill. HEY, THANKS FOR NOTHING HMF! You've just lost a customer.

The thing that really gets me is that both GT Thunder and HMF had my e-mail address. You would think ONE of them would have let me know that the deal was off, BUT NOOOOOOO! I had to make the trip out there and back and then had to call them to find out the deal was off. Now I have to make another trip out there just to pick up my quad.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

wow thats harsh, id still fight for the free shocks, u gotta stick to ur guns with sales ppl, they will tell u "this is it" but its never ever tru, i do that all the time lol

Old 06-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

This morning I recieved this reply on another forum from the owner of GT Thunder:

I have reviewed the emails and first off I need to warn you that I don't deal very well with situations like this. I did not realize what had been promised to you and intend to see to it that you are taken care of correctly from here on out.

I sincerely apologize for any confusion or mishandling. Any comunication or management problems should never be seen by a customer - again I apologize.

The Outlander shock testing and development will be completed by Monday afternoon at which time I can build your set if you still want them. It will take about 7 working days to build the shocks due to plating times since it is a new length body that we do not currantly stock.

If you are fed up with GT Thunder, HLS, and HMF and just want your quad back - I completely understand. I will then personally bring your quad back to you and reimburse you for all your expense in getting it here.

If you still want the shocks - I will gladly build our top of the line Elite shocks for you at no charge.

Feel free to call me on my cell phone anytime today as I want to take care of this and know that you have been wronged by people that I am invovlved with.

www.gtthunder.com
lsommers@bright.net

Here is my response:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

THAT IS SERVICE!

Laz,
Thank you very much. I will take the shocks. Sorry for the mix up. I should have realized that you have many irons in the fire at one time. Apparently you are never too busy to take care of a customer. I'll come over and pick up the quad Monday or Tuesday if it's O.K. Now, let's talk about tires. Since you are busting your butt for me, it would be negligent of me to just leave your shop with just a free set of shocks. I'd like to BUY a set of Maxxis Bighorns for my quad. 25x8x12 fronts and 25x10x12 rears (I noticed that you are a Maxxis dealer when I was over the last time). If you have to order them and ship them to me that's O.K. I look forward to happily doing business with you in the future.

Thank you again!

Problem solved.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I STAND IMPRESSED......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

When I started reading your post, I had no doubt how your experience would turn out.

2 years ago I sent my stock LTZ-400 shocks in to be reworked, and after a quick turn around, I now have the best handling and most comfortable riding Z-400 on the block. When other quad riders take it for a test ride, they can't believe the comfort and handling it has and I have referred many over to GT Thunder...

Just had to add my 2 cents.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had Laz/GTThunder rebuild my rear shock. He does great work, and I am glad they are taking care of you. I have to admit, your initial post did sound out of the ordinary for that companies reputation for quality and customer service.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to here all went well. Let us know how the shock are.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MC Ballpeen
After seeing an ad in a magazine about HLS shocks I contacted HLS (which is associated with HMF) about shocks for my Outlander. Here is the reply they sent:

Michael,

We are interested in designing an HLS shock setup for the Outlanders. If you can lend us your machine for a week, you get the shocks at no charge. If this is something you would like to do, call GT Thunder to see when they would like you to bring your machine over. The number is 330-674-7122.

Thanks

Mike--HMF

Here is the reply I got from GT Thunder:

Hey Mike, hope these help!

Take I-77 South to 30 W. towards Wooster

Follow 30 W. to the Brewster exit ( think it says 93 ) Brewster/Massillon maybe.

At end of exit ramp go left this will actually be 241 S.

Follow 241 S. All the way until you come into Benton. Small green sign blink and you will miss it...lol.

As soon as you come into Benton you will make the first left on CR 207.

Then make 1st right on TR 630.

We are at the top of the hill big red building!

See you June 9th!

Thanks,
Tawnya DeWitt
Office Manager
GT Thunder
6748 TR 630
Millersburg, OH 44654
330-674-7122 phone
330-674-2437 fax
www.gtthunder

Well, on June 9th I loaded up the quad and made the 300 mile trip from my house to Millersburg, Ohio. A trip that took 5 hours out and 5 hours back for a total of 600 miles. I dropped the quad off with GT Thunder and thought nothing more of it.

Today I called GT Thunder and asked if the quad would be ready by Monday, June 16th. From the reception I got it sounded bad from the start, but she suggested I call Joe at HMF. So I called Joe in Cleveland at (216) 631-6980 and the news I got was even worse. It seems that several weeks before, they had been to a race and had borrowed someone elses Outlander to develop the shocks. He said that he was sorry, but they could give me a discount on the shocks. He also said he'd call me back, today which he never did. Meanwhile my quad is still in Ohio and I have to make another 600 mile round trip just to get it. No new shocks, just a $200 + gasoline bill. HEY, THANKS FOR NOTHING HMF! You've just lost a customer.

The thing that really gets me is that both GT Thunder and HMF had my e-mail address. You would think ONE of them would have let me know that the deal was off, BUT NOOOOOOO! I had to make the trip out there and back and then had to call them to find out the deal was off. Now I have to make another trip out there just to pick up my quad.
Sounds like you didnt speak to laz right off the bat I am sorry for your bad experience at first but glad to hear that you got what you were promised I am looking into running the best in the desert race vegas to reno 540 mile long race I plan on running a set of hls shocks with Snyder motorsports a arms and possibly swing arm this is the longest race in the United States and I think that it is going to be a blast I also plan on having gt thunder and SMS go over my complete bike before this race and depending upon the outcome I might build the bike to run the baja1000 I am running a 2006 yfz450 has some motor work done to it but is going to need a lot more work to it just to complete at a competitive rate everyone wish me luck