CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Renegade 800 R vs sport quads at Sand Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Renegade 800 R vs sport quads at Sand Mountain

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MooseHenden

Nice riding. Man I wish we had dunes like that back here in the East. Rocks and roots, mud and water.</end quote></div>

Yeah right.....lol.... I was thinking the same thing when I watched it......

Although I cannot complain too much about Upstate NY terrain compared to the NJ terrain I grew up riding..... NJ is rocks-rocks-and-more-rocks ........ some trails are just pure jagged rocks or big giant loose rocks and almost no dirt at all.....

Up here in NY there is a lot more farm land, deep loamy soil with some shale and slate type rocks mixed in........ and of course if you look around for a few minutes.....mud...... you can find mud up here in the middle of a drought if you know where to look....but what I hate is the grass..... I'm not a big fan of riding in grass but the crap cannot be killed up here......lol...... we can beat down trails to the bare soil and in two weeks the grass is back and greener then ever....lol.......

But those big open desert type dunes just call out to me....... I have to get to SoCal or Oregon, or Utah or any other place like that to ride sometime because it looks so sweet.....all that dirt....and no grass...... looks like paradise to me.....

Old 09-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MooseHenden

Nice riding. Man I wish we had dunes like that back here in the East. Rocks and roots, mud and water.</end quote></div>

Yeah right.....lol.... I was thinking the same thing when I watched it......

Although I cannot complain too much about Upstate NY terrain compared to the NJ terrain I grew up riding..... NJ is rocks-rocks-and-more-rocks ........ some trails are just pure jagged rocks or big giant loose rocks and almost no dirt at all.....

Up here in NY there is a lot more farm land, deep loamy soil with some shale and slate type rocks mixed in........ and of course if you look around for a few minutes.....mud...... you can find mud up here in the middle of a drought if you know where to look....but what I hate is the grass..... I'm not a big fan of riding in grass but the crap cannot be killed up here......lol...... we can beat down trails to the bare soil and in two weeks the grass is back and greener then ever....lol.......

But those big open desert type dunes just call out to me....... I have to get to SoCal or Oregon, or Utah or any other place like that to ride sometime because it looks so sweet.....all that dirt....and no grass...... looks like paradise to me.....</end quote></div>

Oh it is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

but you need them skid plates, otherwise the frame would collapse :-p

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: raptoredd

The renegade does best in a shorter race.

What mods have you done.

I take more than my share of victims,

but I try and pick the stockers if possible.</end quote></div>

The YFZ that edged me out at the top of the hill was modded (at least a pipe), which is the only mod my Renegade has. Well, except for the 22 extra pounds worth of Ricochet skid plates, which definitely don't help for racing.

Notice that the YFZ left the line first, but by the time we reach the 200' mark the Renegade has caught and passed the YFZ, and then stays in the lead until the top of the hill. The Renegade is faster at short races, and on flat ground. Once on the steepest part of the hill though, the extra weight of the Renegade slows it down more than the light weight sport quads.

The tires were chosen for hill climbing, not necessarily for drag racing. I wanted to be able to climb Five Fingers, which is right next to Sand Mountain's main drag, but much steeper. The tires are 26" Skat Traks, which is what I thought would give me the best flotation and best grip for hill climbing. If I were choosing tires for drag racing, or hillshooting, I would have chosen 25" Skat Traks. I think the smaller and lighter 25" tires would be faster. I could also remove the skid plates, the big heavy aluminum floorboad supports, and the floorboards themselves to remove weight, and just run the footpegs only. I think I could remove forty pounds from the Renegade, and when combined with 25" tires, I think the Renegade could be a real contender in the races.

Here is a video of the Five Fingers hill climb I chose the tires for. They worked, ... they got me over the top.

Five Fingers Hill Climb</end quote></div>

I knew someone that had the 25's and he really liked the setup.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Air
Pro Rider

You need to bring that Renegade to Delta for the Sand Drags on October 25th
http://forums.atvconnection.co...16/threadid/551486.cfm