CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hey CoptorDoctor..How did your warranty turn out??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey CoptorDoctor..How did your warranty turn out??

**Quote***
Well canam 800 I can sympathize with you i have a brand new Can Am 800 and it has been the biggest piece of crap in the ATV world. I sold my Rincon 650 with 14,000 KMS on it with out one hickup. A good friend of mine bought a 650 Can Am and it was amazing to ride lotsa power way more than the 650 Honda. So I spent over 12,000 and bout a 2008 800 Max LTD. Well I just have over 1000 kms on it and the moose hunt finally arrived. Off I go 24 hour drive with my ne w bike loaded up. 2 days out of 2 weeks is all it lasted. I was driving with my buddy on the back which i always did with my Honda. He said i here some funny noise coming from your belt Housing. I then came to the relalization My left foot was really warm. I stopped and shut the bike off had a look around and really saw nothing out of the ordinary. This bike has only 40 kms in 4 wheel drive. We were driving on old logging roads no water above half way up the tires. I went to go ahead again and there was a loud clunking noise and the bike would not move.? I had no tools to get the Cover off. My mistake i thought Can Am would at least include that in the tool kit. Any how we started walking 32 Kms back to camp calling on my radio after about 4 hours walking a buddy heard me and came and gave us a ride back to camp. I drove out to the Hyway within cell range and phoned to find the closest dealer. Longlac Ontario 120 Kms away Off I went assuming my belt was gone I purchased a new belt. just about Crapped $220 taxes in are you kidding me? Nope that's the price. So off I go. Get a ride into my bike install belt. Still won't move? WTF? so I look at the shaft on the secondary and it is still while the Sheeves are turning. This time I had My truck tool box. I pulled the secondary off and the Cam so they call it was melted to absolutly nothing? So Cam in hand i head back to Longlac another 12kms one way. None in stock. The guy has ten Bikes sitting there in the shop i explained the problem and that I travelled 24 hours to moose hunt and needed this bike fixed or the Moose hunt was toast.I offered to pay all the work related costs if he would remove one to let me get mobile. Nope No go!!! ( by the way never deal with wild country in Longlac)He phoned Hearst Ontario they had one in stock but would not be able to get it till the next day. Crap!! back home to camp again. Drove in the next morning another 120 Kms. To find out the Moron ordered the wrong part!!Talk about Losing it!! he would still not give me one off a bike in the shop. I phoned Hawksbury whwere I have a friend living. He was coming up the second week. He went and picked one up $53. He came up the tursday first week. Drove me back into My bike. Which amazed someone did not steal I guess they knew what it was worth. Put the prat on and away we went. On the way home the Bike did not seem to bad. Till i stopped at camp? Same noise. I pulled the secondary off again and the new cam was melted almost in half. Now that I was home at camp i pulled the secondary apart and it is totally screwed!! the bushing inside the secondary that allows the two sheeves to work together is Chewed in haf the two sheeves have eaten themselves up full of aluminum shavings inside the clutches. So Basically the new 800 was deligated to pulling up our Shower barrel for two weeks not a bad deal for a 12,000$ opiece of Junk. I talked with the dealer after returning home. I have an appointment WEd. He said he would look after it. And that he would not take a truck load of Honda's for the one 800 Can Am? Well right now I disagree. His feeling is there is something wrong in the transmission causing drag not allowing the clutches to work. he sy's he will look afte rit all. Guess time wiill tell. Will post what was wrong and when I get the pictures on my computer I will post then of the pieces damaged. In the Mean time I am going to go look at the New Honda's. Sorry to all the Can Am lovers but this Bike being the first really new Bike I have purchased and the Most expensive has by far been the absolute worst. Also it shifted hard from the start maybe there is transmission problems i thought it was maybe becase it was new? Maybe not. The speedo you cant' read in the frosty mornings fogs up. It strats like crap when hot. You hit the starter and it goes Err let off and then it will start acting like the starter is to small to turn the 800 over put a new Battery in same thing. The Lights suck you can over drive the head lights big time. One more question befor e I stop ranting. All you out there what Kind of spped should I be getting as this bike seems pretty slow to me Fastest i can go is about 100 kms 60MPh. My Rincon would do this and I though this would be a reall rocket. With two of us on it I can get about 90 kms/hr. Will post the results when i know them Good luck with all the 800's hope you don't need it.

...wondering if you traded it or still have it..thanks..

Old 10-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey CoptorDoctor..How did your warranty turn out??

Hi. I believe coptordoctor started a similar posting on another forum.

I can sympathize as i went through a similar experience with polairs.

For some time now i have has serious reservations of any atv from the big four (Can-am, Pol, Yam, and AC).

I got a honda instead only 500(475cc) . However most of the honda tech is noted for being reliable even if they are somewhat under powered.

The can-ams are much more powerful, better 4x4 modes, more ground clearance. However for the past couple years or so, there are far more LEMONS than there should ever be.

Best of luck.