CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Squeeky front brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 11:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, i don't know if any of you have had this problem with the real squeeky front brakes like I have had. Basically they sounded like there were no brake pads there, like metal on metal sound. I pulled off the hub/rotor and noticed that the rotors are labeled LH and RH. I went ahead and rotated the sides and bolted everything back together. Now after a good ride there is no more squeeky sound. Now i have the question of how do you know which way they were meant to be on? What I mean is, is that RH will be opposite if you are on the bike or looking from the front. Well in my case, I placed the RH on the right side if you standing in front looking at it. I would recommend trying this rotation if your front brakes squeek real bad. By the way, rotors were good and pads were good too. Wierd directional thing here i guess.

Old 02-13-2001, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know for sure what Bombardier intended, but in the case of automotive, left and right apply to sitting in the driver's seat. If that is the case with the quad, which it likely is, you have put them on backwards. I don't know if it will cause any problems though.

By the way, mine also squeak. but with the pipe and a helmet on it doesn't bother me. In my case I suspect that the rotors are slightly warped. When I do my first brake job I will chuck them up on my lathe and turn them. Putting them on a lathe is the only way I know of to determine if they are running true.

Old 02-13-2001, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

i had a warped rotor and it was replaced under warranty.

Old 02-13-2001, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

Hey KenDS, even though the rotors are marked with which side, I didn't see even the slightest difference in which direction they should be run. All I know is that they were just fine and there was no excessive heat temp difference, if they did heat up, they would have turned blue. Stopping power seems to be a bit better, though I did notice that before I swapped sides, the left side(from rider seat)would lock up before the right would. Now they are equal. Kinda weird stuff goin on.

Old 02-13-2001, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

newdsowner,
You got me, I am not near my DS at this time but the cooling holes might, and I mean might, be drilled at a slight angle to improve cooling which would explain a directional difference. Or perhaps the casting is stronger in one direction of rotation than the other. Or maybe they are just marked for assembly purposes. If I was at home I could check my parts catalog an see if they are different part numbers, I'll try to do that when I get home.

As far as the lockup tendency, it may be that the left caliper is hanging up slightly due to dirt/sand/mud causing the piston to not fully retract. This condition could be so slight that it only happens to be manifest itself when the rotor is slightly warped and causes uneven braking pressure, ie: it contacts the warped rotor first. By swapping sides it could have temporarily evened things out.

On single surface rotors, such as these, it doesn't require heat to the point of blueing to warp a rotor. Normal braking heat combined with a quick splash of a puddle jump is enough. Sometimes just setting the parking brake when the rotors are hot, and allowing them to cool while the brake is still applied is all it takes.

I'll try to log on tomorrow with the part numbers for left & right, if they are different.

Old 02-14-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

The parts catalog list two different numbers for the front rotors. Left is 705600093 and the right is 705600042. Don't know what the difference is though. Hope this helps.