CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Green Light..Red Light....OH MY

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I know very little about this model, but here is my 2 cents based on my engine knowledge.

1. Change your sensor, also confirm with a mechanical gauge you have proper pressure. NEVER ride with a idiot light on unless you confirm it is faulty, it mights actually be working, and you are causing damage.

2. Monitor Oil condition (should stay clear), Enging/oil temperature and crank case ventilation.

The comment from the other poster with the engine with good compression, and a bad top ring leading to a failure. The compression will check out in the good range (probably in the lower end of acceptable) however under ignition, the lower ring cannot hold that pressure in, thus loss in power. You may not notice this, but you are just compensating by adding more fuel unconsciously. This loss pressure blows by the piston (blow-by) and into the crank case, this causes the oil to blacken quickly, the oil to run hot, and excessive crank case ventilation due to crank case pressure build up. Over long exposure, the dirty hot oil will wear out parts, and eventually cause a engine failure.

If you are experiencing black oil, hotter engine operating temperatures (even if it feels hotter then it used to), or noticeable crankcase ventilation, I would get the engine checked out by a person that knows engines. A set of rings are cheep compared to a engine lower end or complete engine!

Good luck Chad

Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

I have not rode it since that day. I hear Mr.Horsepower is great so I'm sending it to him in the next couple of months.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so i started my DS650 2day and the oil/temp light is on it don't smoke but take's forever to start. I hear no strange noises from it. I let it run for about 20min just idle I go out and check the light is very dim and then I just go's off. I turn it off check the oil and I see little black streaks in the oil(I have like 12hrs on the oil). So I turn it back on and my oil/temp light is back on. I see no smoke from the crank hose or muffler. What make's your light go on at the start then go off after 20mins. I've hear the sensor but if its bad wouldn't it just stay lit? When this first happened I took it out and it blew thick gray smoke from the crank hose for like 20-30sec then stopped hasn't don't it since then. How can you tell if it bad rings?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you replaced the sensor? I would start there before you start tearing into the motor.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

I want to put a gauge in it but I cant find one. Does any gauge work? If so I'll try that. I started it about a hr ago and let it sit the light was on. I check the oil hose and smoke is coming out of it now and I can smell burning oil. one guy said that it if its bad rings it wont hold pressure while starting so ppl just give it more gas to compassionate for it. Mine does that I think. Will bad rings make it blow smoke out the crank hose? It blows it out when I get on it and let off of it. I talk to Eric he said it sounded like rings. But then it still seem weird that the light just sort of dims out after a few mins or so. Eric said the big bore kit and cams with a carb kit will wake it up. That will fix my rings wont it?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's probably right on the rings if your still blowing smoke. Have you drained the oil looking for metal fragments. That would be a sure sign of something not right internally. A big bore kit will fix all your problems and put a big smile on your face as well Not cheap though... Eric is the right guy if you want to go that route.