CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ron Woods Racing CDI vs. Vortex CDI

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron Woods Racing CDI vs. Vortex CDI

I'm looking for more power out of my stock 05 Baja X. I'm not happy with the stock CDI rev limiting at 7400 RPM. Feels like it still has more juice until I need to shift.

I have heard nothing but good things about RWR products and service, but the RWR CDI has NO rev limiter, which makes me a little nervous, seeing as I tend to miss shifts or get stuck between gears sometimes (size 15 boots aren't the most graceful things). The price is fairly reasonable, and the service reputation going around is almost a selling point.

I haven't heard anything about Vortex CDIs other than they are programmable and that the rev limiter can be adjusted wherever you want it. I don't know anything about the company's service, or how reliable the product is and how well it performs.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

RWR all the way!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are good units however you have already pointed out the main differences. If the lack of rev limiter worries you then go with the Vortex. The Vortex is a bit pricey at ~$400. Another low cost alternative with a rev limiter is the Big Gun CDI. It gives you ~1000RPM over stock and also has a very good curve. If your still running stock cams 1000RPM of overrev over stock CDI is more than enough. Whatever you do stay away from the Procom CDI. They are junk...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

I think I'm going to try the Big Gun. Found one on Ebay for around $125 after shipping. The RWR is only $209, but like I said, I don't trust not having a rev limiter. Thanks DSengineer.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

I removed a RWR CDI from my '02 DS650 because the curve was so aggressive in the low R's, when I ran paddles at low Engine RPM the bike would shake terribly. When I contacted RWR they told me to just keep my R's up. With teenagers riding the bike this is not always an option.

I changed back to the stock CDI - got one on eBay for $1 plus shipping. However, I am looking to upgrade now to raise the rev limit - Big Gun seems like a solid choice.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Yea I went with the Big Gun. I will let you know how it performs once I get it on there. Planning another dune trip in about 3 weeks.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I would be very interested to know how it runs with paddles especially at low engine speeds.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

I've got 20" Extreme Hauler paddles on the back. Last weekend at the dunes I did everything; Sand drags, hill climb, dune running. When I go again I will have a pretty fresh comparison for you.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

I use 20" SandStar paddles and do the hill climb and dune running, but not much dragging. The dune running is where the RWR CDI made the bike shake badly enough to make it uncomfortable to ride - so thank you for any and all comparison information you can provide - I would really like a high-R alternative to the stock CDI but worry about paddle compatibility.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of this problem with an RW CDI, I have been running a RW CDI for years and never had any low RPM shake with any paddles, straight or v.

Quick Reply: Ron Woods Racing CDI vs. Vortex CDI