CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear tire slowly leaks...what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire slowly leaks...what do you do?

Rear tire on my Outty slowly leaks air...what do you do?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

Depends on how slow. I know some guys who put this in which stays in liquid form in the event you get any kind of leak. Kinda a proactive measure. It may work for you??

Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had slow leaks in both back tires and added Slime, it was a temporary fix.

When I had my new tires mounted the guy told me that he charges $5 extra per tire if there is Slime or any other type of sealant in it. I helped mount and dismount my tires and the Slime was such a "slimy" mess I will never us it again.

I have a real slow leak right now in one of my tires, I took it off yesterday and found a small bead leak, I'll take it back and have them break it down and fix it, I'm done "patching" the problems.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Slime works good for punctures but not bead leaks. If it is the bead, you have to break down the beads and clean well, then re-inflate. You can get a bead sealer to put on the beads before airing them up and it works great, just very hard to break the beads next time.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

I had a puncture in my sidewall. I put in a tube and never lost a bit of air pressure, and thats been about 6 months ago.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Forget the slime Specta is right, too much of a mess. Put some dish soap in a spray bottle with water and completely coat the tire. This should find the problem just be patient and you will get results (bubbles). You could also dunk your tire in a makeshift bath to find the problem. I personally have fixed tires for a living before so I definitely take tire repair a little further than most. If you find a hole in your tread area my personal recomendation is to plug and patch (which means a dismount/mount if you know how) with radial tires as a plug can dislodge under extreme load and just a patch leaves the steel incorporated into your rubber susceptible to water which means rust and what is called body ply seperation when the band breaks, I.E. tire is no good. Bias ply tires a plug is fine. Regarding a tube...lucky I guess cause the constant working of a hole or small tear in a tire will put a hole in your tube sooner or later. Leaky bead fix, Cardiac hits it dead on with cleaning the bead and applying bead sealer. This is practically bullet proof for bead leaks. If your on the trail a quick plug will keep the fun going as long as you have a small pump or co2 system or even in some cases an electric pump that runs on batteries or DC port. I hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

I was thinking of adding some slime or sealant stuff to my lawnmower. We've got some thorn bushes and they always keep you busy.
Small needlepoint holes and slow leaks.

Yesterday took the mower out of hibernation, 2 flats and 5 plugs later I was rolling again. Anyway I'm getting added traction with all those plugs sticking out of the tires.

No problem with the tire shop charging extra, I'm my own tireguy for most part. Just the balancing part is a bit off limits

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

Well, the slime worked well for me. I don't care what the tire shop says about it being a hassle. I had a slow leak (bead around rim) because I had a stick jabbed between rim and tire. It would hold air for about 2 days. I needed to slime my tires anyways, so I figured what the hell, might as well try it. I put the right amount in all four tires, and there was a little left over. I put the extra in mine with the leak around the bead, spun the tire and rode it like it says, and it has held air for over a month now just fine.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it the right way... The slime crap is for emergency situations only. YOu don't want to leave that stuff in your tire. Pull the tire/wheel off the ATV and locate the leak with a bottle of soapy water. Go to your local Walmart or autopart store and pick up a tire plug kit to patch the leak. If your constantly getting flats where you ride then its time to consider upgrading to a better tire.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

I just don't understand how putting slime in a tire is "the wrong way". It is made to stop and prevent leaks. Millions of people use it. That is why it is for all types of tires, and it isn't just an emergency fix. If it is leaking, and you need to slime the tires anyways (like me), what is the difference as long as the leak is fixed. It took 10 mins to put it in all tires and fix leak vs. pulling wheel off, all the work of patching leak, mounting tire back on, then if it is fixed, putting slime in there to prevent punctures. No way.

Quick Reply: Rear tire slowly leaks...what do you do?