CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

no spark ds650

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark ds650

I just put a OMW 730 kit in my bike last night, had it running and everything sounded great, went back out this morning to go for a little ride and I have no spark at all. I've checked everywhere for ground and all looks good, fuses under the seat are good, i've rechecked every connection i can see still nothing. Where should i start? One thing i did notice is the switch on the clutch lever. With the key on i have no power at either of the wires that go to it, pulled in or not. I'm not to bad with wiring but i'm no expert, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

Should also mention that unless i have a battery charger on it, all it does is click. I checked the battery and its putting out 12.4 volts alone. I don't have an amp meter to check that. Battery was great before the rebuild so I'm assuming its still good.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ????

I hate to say this but please never assume anything, just because the battery is showing the 12V does not mean the acid in the battery is able to allow the necessary current flow and the ability to hold the current in the battery as if it was charged completely. Next if the starter solenoid is clicking than the solenoid should be good and you can check the contacts by going across the red after the solenoid and ground you should get 12V if the contact closes when you push the (multi function switch) aka the start button with the key on. The current path for the controls on the 2003 DS are as follows, battery red wire to main fuse through main fuse to key switch through key switch to the start button YL/RD to the starter solenoid coil to YL/BLK through the clutch switch to ground on the Electronic module. If the starter only clicks than I would have to say a junk battery but I have been wrong before. Happy trouble shooting. Any thing eles I can do please let me know.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

I checked the battery, as soon as i try and crank the engine it drops below 1 volt so i'm sure its pooched. I think i euchered it when i hooked up the big battery charger to start it, maybe shouldnt have put that on high. Is it possible i fried something else when i did that? How do i check the cdi and rectifier?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ????

You should be able to check your voltage rectifier with an ohm meter, you should have a five pin connetor with three yellows, I think a blue and a yellow green. From the top check yellow#1 to yellow#2 you should see some form of resistance, then yellow#1 to yellow#3 should see some form of resistance. The rectifier is a 3phase full wave type that is converting the AC voltage to a DC voltage in order to power the system and to charge the battery. When you get the bike running if you have a DC ampmeter you can check the current at around 3500Rpm you should have some where in the neighborhood of 5amps according to the DS manual. As for the CDI I cannot help you because I am unsure with out messing with it myself so Sorry There. However by hooking up a charge I would not think you would mess the system up only because of the fuse in the system to protect itself and you were charging it with 12V correct.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

so i did a bunch of checking tonight, what i found is that the trigger coil is not sending a signal to the cdi. The problem with that is I did both the tests in the manual and it specs out perfect. The resistance test was 225, spec is between 180 and 300. The voltage test is 0.5, spec is between 0.3 and 0.7. When i put my test light on that wire though and try to start it i get nothing though. Is that right or is it just such low voltage my light isn't picking it up. Is there a way to check the cdi without buying a new one? I just moved and don't know anyone in my area with another ds to try. If anyone reading this is from ontario let me know. Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Range Rover

I have found that the CDI does not pass the specs in the manual. I have ordered a new programmable dynatek which i'm pretty excited about. Has anyone played around with these and the OMW 730 kit? What are the 4 stock curves like that come with it? Thanks

Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

cdi specs ?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

I found a chart in the manual that tells you what the reading should be when checking everywire for the cdi and a bunch didnt read what they were supposed to. Plus everything going into the cdi is spot on yet there is no signal coming out the signal wire. If this doesn't give me spark I will not be a happy camper

Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

UPDATE PLEASE HELP

I got the new cdi in, still no spark, checked the trigger coil again and sure enough its not sending a signal. OHM resistance is spot on but no signal to the cdi. Got a new trigger coil, put it on, checked the air gap a number of times, the new one is not sending a signal either. I'm about to pull my hair out, i just want to ride!!!!!!

Quick Reply: no spark ds650