CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

04 DS650 to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 DS650 to buy or not to buy

Guy down the road is selling this for $1800...it is bone stock and according to him all it needs is 2 rear tires...The guy is the 2nd owner and can't ride it anymore due to injury...I did the bluebook value and it looks like it blue books for $2800...so hes selling it for $1000 less than KBB...

I've ridden atv's since I was very young...so I'm not worried about it being too big for me...But I've always been a utility rider and I'm not sure I will like the sport wheeler. We do a lot of railroad bed riding and 80-100 mile trips...just not sure if the DS650 would fit me well...I suppose for $1800 worst case scenario I could trade it for a utility...

What do you guys think? Oh according to the guy selling it, it has 70ish hours on it and has been maintained well. The guy selling it has an auto shop so I'm sure he has kept up with it...

oh and can someone with an 04 model take a photo of their instrument cluster for me and post it up...

Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Do you have any pics of crankcase near the shifter that you could post? That's about the best place on a DS to tell the miles/hours. No matter your riding style the heel of your boots/shoes rubs there and wears some of the powdercoating off. There are good deals to be had out there and some folks are just realistic about what a bike is worth and not all wound up into the KBB dream world. Sounds like you may have a decent deal on your hands.
Try and get some pics of the case for us.

Meanwhile here's your dash pic.

Attached Thumbnails 04 DS650 to buy or not to buy-2245.jpg  
Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

I'll take a look at the crankcase around the shifter tomorrow...I haven't gotten a chance to look it over really well..just talked to the guy on the phone. Thanks for posting that picture, I was interested to see what the cluster looked like. I take it that there is no official guage that tells hours/miles...its more of a rough estimate based on the condition of the machine...

I'm really thinking about making the leap tomorrow and buying it depending on how it looks when I give it the go over...having that high of a KBB value and if it is indeed in the good condition that he says, then I could easily get my money back out of it or trade it if I end up not liking it...

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

The DS650 is one of the best riding sport quad made. It handles bumps with ease. A thrill to ride. Only downfall for you would be for long rides in and out of trails. No reverse can be problematic. That is my only grip with the bike. It is a bitch for me to park in the barn. I have to manually muscle it around to get it out. Otherwise, it's one of the best quads you'll ever own.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

I went and took the beast for a ride today...just around the dudes yard....and HOLY ****...It was unreal! There is no scuffing on the side of the crank where you shift...like none at all. I couldn't believe how big and fast the machine was...definitely a whole different animal from anything I've ever ridden before...So much lighter and way more get up and go...I thought it would be similar to riding my friends 850 XP and I mean that just in the speed/take off department...

One thing that annoys me is the low axle/chain/sprocket on the back...was a little nervous about bottoming out...The lack of reverse is also a pain...but the good thing is the bike is relatively easy to toss around...i got to a point today where I needed to back up...just picked the back end up and moved it over then grabbed the front and did the same...of course I ate my wheaties this morning and wasn't hung over at all...which I can see it being a pain on the days when that is the case haha!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 AM
916 Reaper - Pure Evil Inside!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SledRacer112
...just picked the back end up and moved it over then grabbed the front and did the same...
You must work out...LOL!

Sounds like your getting a steal!

Chris

Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SledRacer112
One thing that annoys me is the low axle/chain/sprocket on the back...was a little nervous about bottoming out...
Put a good set of 22" tires on the back and 23" on the front and it will get you the ground clearance you need. Those little stock Dunlop 2-ply tires are crap. THey provide very little ground clearance and are prone to punctures. You will be suprised what the larger tires will do for that quad. You'll also want to pick up a 15T front sprocket since you will be effectively raising your gear ratio with the larger tires. I have had two 04's and both were great machines. Sounds like a good deal at that price...

Reverse is for utility quads in my opinion. After some seat time you become consious of the fact you dont have reverse and it quickly becomes a non-issue. WHen I need to turn around on the trails I just give myself a little room, drop the clutch and spin the bitch around like a top

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

If you dont want the bike plz PM me the number I would like to pick up 3rd ds650 then I'll have the whole line up.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 PM

heres mine, got it for $2100 (well still my fathers, trying to work a deal)

Name:  003-12.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  51.9 KB