CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Ron Wood Kit/ Jetting issues? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Ron Wood Kit/ Jetting issues? Help!

I have a 2000 DS650 with a Ron Wood stage 1 kit. When I got the bike the set-up was this:

Filter straight off the carb
No spark arrestor

Set-up now:

Stock air box
K&N filter with outwear
No lid on airbox
Ron Wood Spark Arrestor

I ran it on the trails last weekend and my buddys Stock DS blew me out of the water. I had no mid or top and it seemed to bogg when the throttle was pinned. I used probably twice the amount of fuel he did and the pipe seemed to have excess carbon built up.

Is anyone familiar with this carb and what jetting I may need to go to if that in fact is the problem. The guy at Wood Perf. doesn't seem to be to helpful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

Well I assume you have the TM45 on there if its the ron woods kit. Do a search on that and you will get some great tuning info on it. I dont run one personally but have tinkered with my brother inlaws. First off by going from a direct mount filter to the stock airbox that is going to mess with the tune on the carb. Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that by putting the stock snorkle and box on there that you are going to want to fatten (richen) up your carb. When wide open does it just not pull or does it spit sputter and pop... If it spits and pops your too rich, if it has no pull your too lean, clear as mud yet? shoot some feed back and detail exactly whats going on, also get a fresh set of plugs in there so you can take some readings after som WOT pulls, that will be your best friend while tuning. With that carb on there there is no way a stock bike should beat you when its dialed in.

Also with the Jets, pull the one you have in there and see what it is, I would swing by your local cycle shop and pick up a few to tune with, I think they are the Large Mikuni Round some one here will know for sure. Most Cycle shops can get them for you, i would assume. Our local can am shop has always had them in stock.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

what size main jet are u running??

Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I'm curious as to what you're calling a spark arrestor? You said you didn't have one, now you do. Would you mind explaining?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

Shaunman - Yes, running the TM45, WOT it spits and sputters. I was thinking that adding the air box would cause a rich condition because it's not getting as much air into the system as it would with a direct mount? Seem right?

Shaunman & thebigshow - I do not know what is in there now but I will find out

aceisback - The spark arrestor I'm referring to is an endcap Woods makes that replaces the one from their pipe. I'll post a pic to show you. For some reason I couldn't find it on their website. They changed it up and it sucks now.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

Here is a pic of the spark arrestor.

Name:  sparkarrestor.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  2.7 KB

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going from a direct mount on the TM45 to using a snorkel you will need to go up a 10 in your main, say from a 150 to a 160. Both Hightower and I have found this to be true.

I personally like the direct mount better on my mild build, but there are others that prefer the snorkel.

I am running that same SA and really like it. On my reverse cone pipe it made the same peak HP as an open end cap and a little more torque. I will try to find the dyno sheet. It is still pretty loud, but it did cut the edge, about like running 16 discs in a SupperTrapp, but better performance.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I found issue. When I pulled the cap to acsess the jet I found it was only in by a couple of threads. I turned it maybe one revolution with my fingers and it came out. I put it back in and it ran pretty good. I have a 155 jet in it. It still didn't seem right quite right though. It may be the CDI curve that is doing it. I ran agaist my buddies yfz 450 and it was pretty much neck and neck till I hit 5th. I was still winding out 4th when he shifted to 5th. Once I hit 5th I started to slowly walk away from him.

TheStir - So you're saying I need to go to a 165 jet with the addition of the airbox? Can you explain it to me because my understanding was if you are direct mount you would be getting more air in the engine requiring a bigger jet and with an airbox installed you would have less air needing a smaller jet? Is this typicall or is it oe of those DS things. Just want to clarify.
Mine is loud too but I think it's ok and under the decible limit. The open cap was really loud. Do you run trails with the direct mount set-up? I was always told to run trails it's best to have the airbox so dirt and water don't get into the engine.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

I am interested in the answer also. I have always read that when you remove the airbox lid you need to go with a bigger jet,not a smaller one. Not doubting you at all but I am looking for an explanation of why this works.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I'm going to take a stab and say it's got to do with the volume of air passing through. Lots more with the snorkel than with the direct mount due to having a foot more of tube mounted to the intake of the carb.

That spark arrestor looks more like a plug! I wasn't doubting you but was curious as to how the addition of a small screen could rob you of power. That is way more than the screen that most of us know as a spark arrestor! I'd like to put that on my pipe to see how much it really does deprive you of. Gotta have some flow through the exhaust.

And besides, forest fires are good for the environment!

Quick Reply: DS650 Ron Wood Kit/ Jetting issues? Help!