CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

800 renegade

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think an atv's hp potential is a bit lower due to what may be considered "the weakest link" in the drive train. Sleds have far fewer moving parts- less stress / friction to consider on moving parts. I bet as atv "parts" evolve and get stronger, the hp will increase. A lot of these stock atv's can crack a cv shaft no problem- lots of friction between the wheels & ground which ='s tons of stress on the drivetrain...
I would think the opposite, I can push my ATV easily while I cant budge my sled parked, and its not about snow, a sled could hit 100 mph down a dirt road if you wanted it to, just look on you tube summer sled drag races.

I think they detune ATVs because theres no safe places to ride them fast, while sleds have smooth groomed trails with no rocks to look out for, and flat frozen lakes. PWC also have wide open water.

A sled feels alot more under control at 80 mph then a ATV with 5 psi balloon tires at 55mph to me.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
I would think the opposite, I can push my ATV easily while I cant budge my sled parked, and its not about snow, a sled could hit 100 mph down a dirt road if you wanted it to, just look on you tube summer sled drag races.

I think they detune ATVs because theres no safe places to ride them fast, while sleds have smooth groomed trails with no rocks to look out for, and flat frozen lakes. PWC also have wide open water.
yea- i guess there could be a lot of friction on a sled track also- for some reason though, the atv drivetrain just seems weaker then a sleds drivetrain... to me

Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I think AC,Yamaha,Can Am,Polaris would worry about law suits like the days of 3 wheelers if they put there sled motors in there ATVs.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
The power was very impressive but it's just not what I would want for me. I'd really like to ride an 800 Outlander. I really liked the 800 Max too. The Renegade didn't "feel" right for the more technical stuff.
What year Renegade was it that you rode Specta? They changed the low end engine response with a different ignition map and different cam, and also changed the clutching in 2009. Previous model year Renegades hit alot harder on the bottom end than '09 and later model years. The '09 and later Renegades do have a little more top end power though.

The changes in '09 make them much easier to ride in technical terrain. In fact, I prefer the new Renegade 800 to any other ATV I have ridden when the terrain gets real nasty. I bought an '09 Renegade, but had the same fears about riding it on the nastiest of terrain as you did, so kept riding my '07 Grizzly 700 on an extremely difficult trail a group of us were building in the mountains of southern Ut. This was the kind of trail where everyone else had rolled their ATVs at least once, and some had rolled numerous times. A number of the hillclimbs were just crazy, and you didn't know if you were going to make it or not, you just had to go for it and hope for the best. I invited three friends on this trail, they had been ATV riders their whole life, and they were young men in their late twentys or early thirtys, and typically sought out the toughest trails they could find. They told me this trail was the most difficult trail they had ever been on, ... by far. Just mentioning all this to point out that I've done some technical terrain in my days.

Well, after almost a year of owning the Renegade 800 I finally decided to take it up on the crazy trail and see how it did. Boy was I surprised, because it not only did better than my Grizzly 700, it did ALOT better. Clutch engagement was never a problem, it is very easily controlled. The bike certainly has enough power to launch you right off the side of the mountain if you want it to, but you can control it easily. The center of gravity is much lower than the Grizzly, and it is a lot more stable on uphills, downhills, and sidehills. The Renegade was also a lot better than a Honda Rincon I owned ever was. The Rincon is stable, but just doesn't have enough power to climb the biggest nastiest climbs with any authority, and the Rincon brakes are poor. The Renegade was better than Prairie 650s or Prairie 700s I've owned. I rolled a Prairie 700 on this same trail. The Renegade was better than a Sportsman 500 HO I owned. I also rolled the Sportsman on this same trail. The Renegade was even better than an Arctic Cat Thundercat I owned.

In summary, the Renegade is the best extreme terrain ATV I've ever owned. It has enough power to go anywhere you care to try, and it is low, stable, and well balanced. I even prefer the visco lock front differential to a full locker. I cant count how many times I have attempted a hill without a locker engaged because I didn't think I would need it, then found out halfway up the hill that I do need a locker, .... not good when you have to stop to engage the locker.

The new Renegade XXc's are even better, because they have the quick engaging visco locker, and both a front and rear swaybar. The front swaybar helps alot on sidehills stability.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by DesertViper
The changes in '09 make them much easier to ride in technical terrain. In fact, I prefer the.....
damn DV! That's like a can-am commercial right there

makes me want to go out and buy a renegade 800 tomorrow!

oh wait- I own a renegade 800x already

Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

my 400 outlander has lots off ***** and all iv done to its last week was valve adjustment set intake at 12 and exhaust at 15 and the racing clutch and the fron end comes up like im ridding a 185 three wheeler even in 4 wheel it still does the same but reason i did the racing clutch was i do alot of mud bogging and i always had a problem with tire bog but now its as sound as a rock and never have problems untill mud over handle bars

Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by TLC
I think they detune ATVs because theres no safe places to ride them fast,
that makes a whole lot of sense

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I don't know what year Renegade it is.

Out of all the lockers out there I would take the viscous coupler like Can Am uses over the others.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Out of all the lockers out there I would take the viscous coupler like Can Am uses over the others.

I love the can-am visco- it has never let me down. and it's nice knowing I don't have to worry about locking it up when hitting a steep hill or zipping through a mud hole- it's always there.

Some people complain it takes too long to "lock up" but I don't know what they are talking about- or if they have ever owned one, because mine locks up instantly- I've seen it lock when ice / snow riding- it's very effective.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Not me and this is why. YouTube - can-am vs. polaris locker seems to have alot slower reaction time.

Heres another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLCk_vtRoT4&NR=1 and another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4qtS...eature=related

This is even the new QE version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIFx...eature=related

Heres how fast the Polaris is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SucJv...eature=related just as quick as manual lockers.

Quick Reply: 800 renegade