CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Looking to Upgrade Handlebars...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Upgrade Handlebars...suggestions?

Hello,

Noticed the other day my handlebars were bent after a recent accident.

Really cant even tell, but I can Visually see there bent, Looking to upgrade. Maybe a taller handle bar while reducing Vibration. (my hands go numb often)

what do you guys use, I have been Eye balling these, but they are Pricey!
Flexx Handlebars

anyone sport these?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

I've used the Flex bars on three different ATVs and a dirt bike. On two different sport ATVs they were incredible. Solid rear axle ATVs do a lot of side to side rocking when you're riding aggressively over very choppy ground, like untracked sagebrush in a desert race. The ability of the flex bars to "flex" damps out most of this side to side rocking that is caused by the solid rear axle, and dramatically smooths out the ride. The effect is almost more dramatic than the improvement achieved by a high end expensive aftermarket suspension, and at a fraction of the cost. For a sport quad with a solid rear axle suspension they are definitely worth the money. On utility ATVs with independent rear suspension this effect is much less noticeable. The IRS already prevents the violent side to side movements, and the flex bars dont do much. Same thing for a dirt bike, there is only one rear tire, so no side to side movement, and the flex bars dont really help. They do absorb some impact on landings, but at the expense of a "vague" feeling that I did not like. I actually took my flex bars back off of my dirt bike. Hope that helps.

DV

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the input, I did forget to mention I do Own DS650 and from your experiences and others i've read online, it seems I would not be dissapointed in getting them.

Did you ever add the inserts where your grips go to reduce further vibration?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I've done both. I think the inserts do as much, or more, than the flex bars to reduce vibration. But the flex bars do a very good job of smoothing out the ride on the DS 650, and also decrease fatigue and arm pump significantly. A DS 650 was one of the ATVs I used flex handlebars on.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool! Thats What im Looking for! Looks Like i'll be Placing an order soon.

So did you Add the inserts into the Flex bars or would it even make a difference?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I would use the inserts inside a normal set of handlebars before I would use them inside a set of flex bars. They wont make as much difference in the flex bars, but they will help. Maybe try the flex bars first, then if you want more improvement with hand numbness and arm pump you could always add the inserts later on. For casual, or play riding, you probably wont need both. If your racing cross country and dont have time to relax and let the arm pump go away, doing both would help.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome! well since you seem to have great knowledge on the bars, What degree bend should I get for stock height or a little higher?

Thanks for your help, You got me pretty sold on these, I love riding the DS, makes me the fastest in my group, but man my hands kill on long rides, we go in upwards to 40-60 mile rides and some days are better than others but on the bad days i gotta let off the gas and give my hands a break.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I just looked at their web site. Wow, they have a ton more bends than when I bought my last set of Flexx bars. They only had two bends when I bought mine, and I got the ones they said were closest to a "CR High" bend.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the bump steer you pick up in the handlebars can be addressed by properly setting the toe-in on your front suspension. DS's are typically set with too much toe-in from the factory causing twitchy steering. Add some toe-out by slighly shortening each tie rod.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know the stock degree bend of the bars on the DS650? is it 15? sorry im a rookie to Quads.

Quick Reply: Looking to Upgrade Handlebars...suggestions?