CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2012 renegade

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 renegade

Hello i am thinking of getting myself a new atv this year and im really leaning towards a renegade 800 anyone have any comments or advice on them. not a whole lot of can am bikes were im from so its hard to say if they are good or not id like to hear from some can am owners.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Son has a Renegade 500. It's got fantastic power for a 500, has gone everywhere all the other 4x4s go, and gets great gas mileage. We've had no issues with it. It handles a lot lighter than the weight would suggest. The 800 has gobs more power and will wheelie with ease. Scary fast. Only caution would be to be careful on the throttle going into corners. It will lighten the front end up real fast. You can get a rack/racks for it but it doesn't come with them. Can-Am sells a rear rack and there is a company that sells a front and rear rack. Seen them on eBay. If you don't like being covered with mud you can buy a flare kit to extend the fenders out for better protection. Only thing that bothered me about Can-Am was the spar frame. To me and some others it is on the weak side. I believe they addressed this with their own insert in the frame to stiffen the front section as of the 2011 model. We got an aftermarket insert and did it ourselves in about an hour or so. Good for peace of mind. The new 2012 800 and 1000 Renegades have a totally new frame that looks a lot stronger to me. Overall, Can-Am has the most power per cc of the 4x4s, are very fast, and get great gas mileage per engine size. By comparison, I get about 22 mpg on a railtrail where it's pretty much 30mph constantly. My son's Renegade gets 30 mpg on the same trail.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Son has a Renegade 500. It's got fantastic power for a 500, has gone everywhere all the other 4x4s go, and gets great gas mileage. We've had no issues with it. It handles a lot lighter than the weight would suggest. The 800 has gobs more power and will wheelie with ease. Scary fast. Only caution would be to be careful on the throttle going into corners. It will lighten the front end up real fast. You can get a rack/racks for it but it doesn't come with them. Can-Am sells a rear rack and there is a company that sells a front and rear rack. Seen them on eBay. If you don't like being covered with mud you can buy a flare kit to extend the fenders out for better protection. Only thing that bothered me about Can-Am was the spar frame. To me and some others it is on the weak side. I believe they addressed this with their own insert in the frame to stiffen the front section as of the 2011 model. We got an aftermarket insert and did it ourselves in about an hour or so. Good for peace of mind. The new 2012 800 and 1000 Renegades have a totally new frame that looks a lot stronger to me. Overall, Can-Am has the most power per cc of the 4x4s, are very fast, and get great gas mileage per engine size. By comparison, I get about 22 mpg on a railtrail where it's pretty much 30mph constantly. My son's Renegade gets 30 mpg on the same trail.
Moose,
How much does you son weigh? I am looking into either a Renny 500 or 800 for the wifey, and of course, I get to drive it when she is cooking up grub in the RV. I've been doing the hand me down quads for the kids and now we are getting in to the final stages where they will all have their last quad. I don't want it to be underpowered with the 500 but I hear some stories about people being scared of the 800 after the first ride. I currenlty have a Raptor 700R, my son rides a Polaris Predator 500, my daughter just inherited my wife's DS250 and my lil' son inherited my daughter's Rappy 80. I want this to be my wife's last bike leaving me my young one to deal with over the next 10 years.

Let me know if you've ridden the 500 and how much you weigh.

Thanks,
-Ron in SoCal

Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dsomonster
Moose,
How much does you son weigh? I am looking into either a Renny 500 or 800 for the wifey, and of course, I get to drive it when she is cooking up grub in the RV. I've been doing the hand me down quads for the kids and now we are getting in to the final stages where they will all have their last quad. I don't want it to be underpowered with the 500 but I hear some stories about people being scared of the 800 after the first ride. I currenlty have a Raptor 700R, my son rides a Polaris Predator 500, my daughter just inherited my wife's DS250 and my lil' son inherited my daughter's Rappy 80. I want this to be my wife's last bike leaving me my young one to deal with over the next 10 years.

Let me know if you've ridden the 500 and how much you weigh.

Thanks,
-Ron in SoCal
Hi, Ron, my son, Moose 1, is around 240 or so. I've ridden it a couple times at 350 lbs. It has no problems moving my bulk. The Can-Am 500 is probably as quick as a lot of other's machines with 700cc engines, with 4wd and CVT transmissions.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had and (regrettably) sold a 2009 Renegade 800X

on dirt & mud- it was unstoppable- snow was a bit tricky because it was so peppy and would easily break traction- the visco also takes some getting used to in the snow.
on the stock 25" tires and no winch up front, just blipping the throttle will pull the front tires off the ground and launch you forward- if you're not holding on tight to the bars- you'll be sitting on your azz with the rene 20' in front of you.

like moose said- stuffing the throttle around corners and powersliding is effortless- but if the tires find any traction around a corner, it will wheelie right up on you- happened to me a few times and caught me off guard. Taking a fast corner on tar is very scary.

I'm between 175-180 lbs. swapped out the stock 25's for heavy 27" ITP 489's, put the winch up front and fender flares (must have) all around. It didn't really slow it down too much-

I will say with 80% certainty that your wife will not want to ride the 800 rene after trying it out. This is about the furthest of a starter atv that you'll find- even if she's comfy going in a straight line and trolling around the trails, the potential for a serious injury at the accidental blip of the throttle is always there. It should only be ridden by experienced riders. Even the 500 rene is quite a peppy machine- matching hp & torque with many 600-750 atv's. Just my

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Moose, Beergut,
Thanks for the feedback. I was being selfish and thinking I could ride it when she wasn't. The 800 is way too much bike for her. You guys just put the final stamp on the Gade 500. Thanks for saving my wife's life, my marriage and a few thousand bucks.

-Ron

Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsomonster
Moose, Beergut,
Thanks for the feedback. I was being selfish and thinking I could ride it when she wasn't. The 800 is way too much bike for her. You guys just put the final stamp on the Gade 500. Thanks for saving my wife's life, my marriage and a few thousand bucks.

-Ron

you'll enjoy the 500-

don't forget to post pics when you get it!!!

(of the bike- not your wife )

Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

DSOMonster,
A Renegade can actually make a good "wife's ATV", contrary to what you might initially think. Here is a picture of our ATVs that was taken last year.

The 2010 Renegade 800 XXc is my wife's ATV. The 2011 Outlander 800 XXc was mine, the YFZ 450 was my 15 year old son's, and the DS 450 is my 21 year old son's. As a family we have been riding ATVs for about 12 years now, so we've owned several different ATVs, ranging from Wolverine 350s, to Scrambler 500s, to Sportsman 500s, to Honda Rincons, to Yamaha Grizzlys, to Kawasaki Prairies, to Thundercat 1000s, etc.

Back in 2009 I bought the Renegade XXc for my ATV, and when the wife rode it she fell in love with it. She had been riding a Grizzly 700 just before the Renegade. She claimed the Renegade as her ATV, and it has stayed her ATV ever since. I can ride it if I'm going on a ride where she isn't going along, but if she is going she rides the Renegade. When I bought the 2011 Outlander XXc I offered to let my wife have that ATV, but after riding it she said she wanted to keep the Renegade XXc. When I bought the 2012 Outlander 1000 XT that I have now I offered to let my wife have that ATV, but after riding it she still wanted to keep the Renegade.

We need at least one ATV with racks, so we need one full utility ATV. The problem is, I'm always the one that has to ride it, because the wife likes her Renegade more.

So WHY does she like the Renegade more? I asked her one day, and she said its because she wants to ride the best ATV. The Renegade works better for the mountain riding we do. It is lower, has a better center of gravity, feels more solidly planted, and it doesn't lean in turns or on sidehills. Basically, it is more confidence inspiring because it is more capable of doing the difficult terrain than other ATVs are. When we go on a ride she wants to know before we go that she is riding the best ATV she can ride. She wants the advantage, she wants to be able to keep up.

Maybe she isn't a normal wife, but she loves that Renegade 800, and I can't get it away from her.

DV

Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Talking

Originally Posted by beergut
you'll enjoy the 500-

don't forget to post pics when you get it!!!

(of the bike- not your wife )
ROTFL. Posting pics of the wife is EZ compared to finding a good Gade 500. In my limited research, it is much easier to get a good used 800.

When I do finally get the 500, she will probably be happy enough to oblige a "good enough" pic of herself that will bring cheers. Y'all know what I mean about "good enough".

She just slapped me in the head, but she said she would be OK with the "spring break" pic, just as long as there are no head shots and I wrap or paint the Gade in some pink tribal print she picked out.

Now it is Ron's wife typing. I agreed to model the new 500 topless with my helmet on when this is all said and done!

Uh Oh, see what you started Beergut. That's the cougar in her. Damn, just got slapped again. I better log off before I sustain brain damage. Wish me luck.

-Ron

This is getting fun.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DesertViper
DSOMonster,
A Renegade can actually make a good "wife's ATV", contrary to what you might initially think. Here is a picture of our ATVs that was taken last year.

The 2010 Renegade 800 XXc is my wife's ATV. The 2011 Outlander 800 XXc was mine, the YFZ 450 was my 15 year old son's, and the DS 450 is my 21 year old son's. The wife and I have been riding ATVs for a little over a decade now, so we've owned several different ATVs, ranging from Wolverine 350s, to Scrambler 500s, to Sportsman 500s, to Honda Rincons, to Yamaha Grizzlys, Kawasaki Prairies, etc.

Back in 2009 I bought the Renegade XXc for my ATV, and when the wife rode it she fell in love with it. She had been riding a Grizzly 700 just before the Renegade. She claimed the Renegade as her ATV, and it has stayed her ATV every since. I can ride it if I'm going on a ride where she isn't going along, but if she is going she rides the Renegade. When I bought the 2011 Outlander XXc I offered to let my wife have that ATV, but after riding it she said she wanted to keep the Renegade XXc. When I bought the 2012 Outlander 1000 XT that I have now I offered to let my wife have that ATV, but after riding it she still wanted to keep the Renegade.

We need at least one ATV with racks, so we need one full utility ATV. The problem is, I'm always the one that has to ride it, because the wife likes her Renegade more.

So WHY does she like the Renegade more? Because the Renegade is much more capable of doing extreme terrain with ease than any other ATV she has ridden. It has a lower center of gravity and doesn't feel nearly as tippy on side hills, and my wife hates ATVs that feel tippy on sidehills. It has power steering, so its easy to drive. It has enough power for any situation she comes up against. She knows before she goes on a ride, that she wont get someplace where she wont be able to make it because of a lack of power, traction, suspension, or handling. She wants to have the advantage, she wants to have an ATV that is better than the rest of the ATVs on the ride. And she has not had problems due to too much power. I think Can Am does a good job of keeping these ATVs very managable.

Maybe she isn't a normal wife, but I can't get that Renegade 800 away from her.

DV
DV,
Nice setup. I've been riding for over 20 years and the family started about 5 years ago. Wifey went from a Grizzly125 to her current DS250. She is an average rider that likes more technical stuff vs flat out wide open runs. I just don't want to scare the "P" out of her and have a Gade 800 sitting in the trailer.

I may have to reconsider since it is much easier to find 800s vs the 500s. I will keep you guys posted.

- Ron

Quick Reply: 2012 renegade