CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds 650 tm 45?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds 650 tm 45?

i have a 2001 ds 650, all stock. so i was thinking about adding a mikuni tm 45 carb, first off i was wondering if any modifications would be needed to add this carb to the stock setup? does it need a new throttle cable or anything. and second does anyone have one the could sell? also, would this be the best carb for this bike or should i be looking at somthing else?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

I have a TM45 on mine and like it. The throttle cable will fit I think but I got one from Ron Wood racing. I kept an eye on Ebay and a ported intake finally showed up. I got the intake and adapter with intake hose for 30.00. I like the carb but the throttle pull is a pain, very stiff. Someone on the forum knows how to lighten the pull but I don't remember who. I may try it myself someday,it aint rocket science. Overall it is a good mod.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 650 tm 45?

so what you are saying is that i would need to get a ported intake? so this carb will not fit the stock intake? i couldnt port the one that i have? where would be the best place to pick one up? what is the inner diameter of the stock intake? and how much would it need opened up for the tm 45?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Stock carb and intake is 43mm, TM 45 is 45mm so the intake should be ported to match. RWR has the cable for the TM, stock will not fit, lug is too small. If you get the TM from RWR it will come with the extension and the hose to meet up to the intake. The stock intake boot won't mate up with the TM.

Hightower is the TM45 guru and used to do the spring tension mojo. He gets on here rarely anymore so I doubt he'd be able to do it for you. Like maniac stated it ain't rocket science but you have to ENSURE that whne you turn the carb upside down that the spring tension is enough to hold the slide closed.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

you can also take the spring out of the throttle box to reduce the pull of the throttle.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I might know where an extra TM45 would be

Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

I had a tm45 and hated it ! realy hated it .. the thumb pull is crazy. for trail riding keep the stock carb .... I even have the spring out of the thumb control for lighter feel on the stock carb.. the tm does work well with alky nitro tho (8>þ

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a tm45 from rwr. I like it alot, as far as tuning and working on the carb it is really easy. Also you can make it easier to push the thumb throttle by twisting the throttle return spring to make it softer, or make the lighter rated spring just stiff enough so the throttle will close all the way when you let off the throttle. Or you could leave the accelerator pump disabled and just put the light spring in that comes with the rwr kit. My accelerator pump is all hooked up though. I would go and buy the rwr full kit that comes with the ported intake manifold, carb, air filter, optinal wrist throttle and a throttle cable (although I know that someone is using the stock cable with the tm45 you have to do a little grinding)