CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds650 2001 pumpin oil from breather

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds650 2001 pumpin oil from breather

BAD ENGLISH SORRY

I bought a ds650 like 2 months ago, it was running fine no problems, it was only leaking a considerable amount of oil. Yesterday i found the oil leak it was from the oil breather (the black hose that comes from the foot brake). The hose is directed to the air box, there was a lot of oil that was leaked from it. I need help where can i direct the hose or how to fix that. I am buying a lot of oil it leaks a lot.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

Do a search for "breather" and you should find some suggestions.

Possibly a broken ring: diagnose with a compression test.

I've also read replacing/cleaning the oil pressure regulator will fix the problem if the rings are fine. You have to split the case to get to the regulator.

Overfilled with oil? you have to check it when its warmed up.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by PapaWheelie
Do a search for "breather" and you should find some suggestions.

Possibly a broken ring: diagnose with a compression test.

I've also read replacing/cleaning the oil pressure regulator will fix the problem if the rings are fine. You have to split the case to get to the regulator.

Overfilled with oil? you have to check it when its warmed up.
Thanks for helping me, i have a few questions

Where is the breather hose suposed to be?
Where is the oil pressure regulator?

Also i have another question. The quad was used a lot of time yesterday. It started white smoke from the exhaust. I looked at my airbox and it was full of oil. So i drain the oil, started the bike again and it was not smoking white (just a little when i revved it up) So what can it be, its just because of the oil in the airbox that came from the breather or it can be a serious problem?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Range Rover

Crankcase vent hose (breather hose) comes out halfway up on the front of the right side engine cover. Factory was a grey hose at that point. The hose snakes around the engine and ends up connected to the airbox. The vent hose is there to allow the crankcase to breathe with each piston movement. It should both pull in and push out air. A healthy engine will push out some oil vapor (more vapor with higher rpms) An engine with a worn or broken piston ring can put out lots of vapor and even some liquid oil.

I don't quite understand how, but someone posted here that he had oil coming out of the breather line when his oil pressure regulator had problems, and the oil problem went away after replacing/fixing the regulator. I guess if the regulator allowed too much oil into the crankcase (the Rotax is a dry sump system that holds most of the oil in the oil tank) than oil would be splashing up all over the piston and could be forced out of the vent line. The oil pressure regulator is located high INSIDE the engine, on the right side of the case (basically the backside of the oil filter area). The engine must be removed from the quad, and dissasembled (removing the cylinder and split the cases) to get to the regulator. NOT an easy or quick job.

Checking the compression should be the 1st job. If you don't have access to a compresson guage and the knowledge to use it correctly, you probably will have to take youe quad to a mechanic. I have used compression guages on car engines before, but I believe that because the Rotax has an automatic decompression function to make it easier to crank over the engine, that it will decrease the compression numbers on the guage unless you know how to do it.

The white smoke you see could be just from the large amount of oil that ends up in the airbox, or it could be because of a broken ring or worn valves. I've read about people disconnecting the vent hose from the airbox, adding a longer length of tubing, and running the tube up and over the oil tank in the front of the bike, and back down by the frame. If you did this and capped the port in the airbox, you could determine if the white smoke out the exhaust was due to oil in the vent line or another problem.