CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2002 Ds650 baja Questions/Intro

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Ds650 baja Questions/Intro

hello all,

i would first like to introduce myself to the forum as this is my first post. i have spent many hours reading different threads and am impressed with the content and how genuine people seem in helping/sharing with others. with that said i appreciate in advance for letting me be apart of this community and if it is alright with you all, id like to request some help!

I have a 2002 ds650 which i have obtained just recently in a trade for a 2000kx250-even. the 650 def. appeared to need some love and care so took the chance. as advertised by the previous owner, the 650 has had some mods done. he has listed a stage 3 ron woods kit and k&n filter. from what i can see it definitely has the ron woods exhaust and cdi box and the k&n. i cannot speak for any internal components that would be part of the woods mod. - there is what i know.

there are a couple of issues i would like you're guys' help with. first thing is that when i am riding around with it in a more calm manner, it runs fairly smooth. when i get on the throttle really hard, it wants to skip in and out and occasionally backfire. the second issue/question is it seems to have some oil trying to come out of the breather tube (i dont know if this is an issue or not)? i understand (from other threads here) that the breather tube normally goes up into the airbox, on this 650 it us cut just about mid way up the motor and then capped with a small filter.

One discovery that i made was that the tube/rubber (sorry for the lack of term) between the carb. and the engine is extremely dry rotted. I am not sure it that could cause any of this or all of this or not.

i apologize for the lengthy post, i just dont want to waste you're time with a lack of info. again, excited to be here and i appreciate you're help in advance.

-Greg

Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

I dont know if these images will help or not...

Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words about it's members. Nice ride you picked up there. You definitely want the intake boot to be airtight. Take it down to your local auto parts store and have them cut you a piece of hose to match. If it's like the ones around here you will have to buy the whole foot but they can cut it to size for you then you'll have reserves.
I don't see a pic of said hose or I could tell if it was the RWR one or not.
Again, welcome. We'll get you up and running in short order.
Ace

Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response Ace. It looks like that is exactly what the previous owner did for the intake boot...it is just a @2.5" hose cut to size. i ordered the intake boot from the dealer yesterday (should have it tomorrow). yesterday i went home after work to look it over again and noticed the boot was sliding off of the engine side/intake. so i decided to take the carb off and inspect the boot. while doing so the gas was dumped out of the carb. and the inside of the boot did not show any leaks/cracks connected to the outside so i decided to put it all back together and make sure all of the clamps were tight. after getting it all back together i couldn't get it to start for nothing. after cranking on it for a while, i pulled the plugs and they were almost white and bone dry (not getting gas i assume?) but had plenty of spark at both.

also, before i took the spark plugs out...i noticed the back spark plug wire wasnt even on the spark plug at all. ---im not sure what that was all about. the curious part is that the previous owner "only had it a couple of months" (questionable) and when i wrote him last night about it, he replied "it only has one plug" lol....That may give you an indication of how the quad was handled in the past...

i would be happy to take any pictures that you guys/gals would find helpful in this process as i would very appreciative for any help.

thanks
-Greg

Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

If it has a Woods TM45 on it the stock boot will not work. That's why it has radiator hose on it. The TM also has an aluminum insert on the front side that mates it up to the intake inside of the hose. Provides smooth passage of the emulsified air/fuel mixture into the head.
You said it won't start now after dumping the fuel out of the carb, did you turn the petcock back on? Sometimes it's the simplest stuff on these things.
Where are you located?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ace, you were definitely onto something lol....after taking the bowl off and spraying everything clean I realized the petcock was positioned wrong. Sorry for the rookie mistake. So after that discovery it started up fine....I took it for a spin and the skipping was still present. The only thing different is when I turned it off there was some smoke coming out of the air filter and a little out of the exhaust??? Not sure why. I also looked over the radiator hose and on the outside it is really cracked but the inside of it looks fine? What you said about the radiator hose make sense, tomorrow ill pick a new piece up. I also plan in changing the oil tomorrow night...after that I don't know what to do.

Thanks
-Greg

Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also wanna add that with the breather tube issue...I swear I smell gas from it?

Quick Reply: 2002 Ds650 baja Questions/Intro