CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Polaris SP 500 HO vs Bombardier Traxter

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What excatly will your Polaris "beat" a Traxter at? If you mean top speed, you would be correct. If you mean ground clearence, thats a relative thing. At the rear wheel, directly against the rim on the inside, the Traxter has more. If you mean dead center, the Polaris has more. Meaning, in the rocks the Traxter would be better, and in the deep, rutless mud, the Polaris would be better. However, the Traxter won't lose any ground clearence by adding weight, and it won't allow the outside wheels to raise while the center goes down. If you mean your Polaris will out pull a Traxter, I would strongly disagree! I know a guy who went bumper to bumper against a Polaris(SP500) with his Traxter, on pavement. The Traxter dragged him backwards! In fact, as I recall the Polaris broke something in the process, I don't remember what(CV I think). If you mean sport riding, again I would have to disagree, my buddy who rides the Traxter can maintain a higher speed through the corners on a flat gravel road. The Traxter seems to be able to power slide through the corners at a higher speed then the Polaris can, inspite of the fact that its a full time 4WD. On the straight a ways the Polaris will beat the Traxter quite handily. Terrain be damned, the Polaris will eat those bumps up very nicely, while the Traxter will pogo more in the rough stuff.
I guess it depends on where you ride as far as which would be better. I wouldn't personally pick either. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Traxter. Thats based on having watched the both of them work on the trails that I ride on. Performance aside, the Traxter has been a more dependable, durable quad then any of the Polaris's that I have ridden with. Plus its ALLOT lower maintenence!

Rick