CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander L 500 Gear Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Grizzly isn't the easiest to steer either, especially in 4x4 or even more difficult in diff lock 4x4. I may eventually go to a utv myself, that would most likely be my next upgrade. Other things I need to buy in the immediate future will probably take priority even though I could go out and get one. The Kymco 450 actually looks appealing due to its lower price than most of the rest other than the Pioneer 500 and Polaris Ranger ETX, both of which seem underpowered compared to the Kymco. The Rzr 570 base model isn't a lot more expensive either and might be more along the lines of what I might be looking for. I don't really need a utv to do any work, it would simply be for fun. CF Moto makes some interesting machines but the reliability is a bit of an unknown. The closest dealer being over an hour away is not a good selling point either. I did see this on my local craigslist Cf moto and it definitely got my attention. This 600ex is similar to a rzr 570 in size and power, the most notable difference is being slightly wider at 54" vs 50" for the rzr 570 which might actually be a good thing, a little more width makes it a bit more stable than the 50" machines. If the seller really needs it gone, they might be willing to sell for even less. If I could get it in the $5000-$5500 range, I'd be willing to give it a try. Its basically brand new, a 2015 model with 365 miles on it, barely broken in. I don't think this is the eps equipped model(its an option on this one but not standard) but I assume the steering is fairly light even without it, much like on the Kymco 450i.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. I keep going back and forth about getting a UTV. I am still wanting both but with retirement looming, I doubt I can afford both. Cost wise, it would probably be a better deal too. Have also considered the Can-am 6x6, but that thing is a real moose. Not very maneuverable in the woods. Especially if I am pulling a trailer. That new Defender with a hard cab looks promising, especially for plowing snow. I guess it really comes down to where we end up. We have property in Wisconsin and TX, and live in Virginia. (Can't make up our minds) And to tell you the truth, I am really looking at a tractor with a cab on it. But who knows. I really want something with a diesel in it... but that pretty much limits my possibilities. Not interested in going fast anymore. And my wife wants to control her own machine. Besides, a SxS will have issues fitting in my toy hauler. The door is big enough, but it has a bed that goes up into the ceiling that hangs down. And I can't clear the cage. So that would mean bigger toyhauler, bigger truck to haul that... and more expense. Ahhh decisions decisions.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My wife was just the opposite....didn't care for the responsibility of controlling her own machine. She thought it would be fun at first but soon realized in rough terrain it wasn't much fun, in fact she was scared. So she hasn't ridden her machine in 4 years and with my praire getting harder to turn and yard work getting more difficult with age....the UTV seemed to be the right move. While she hasn't ridden it yet due to the cold weather she says she will feel more comfortable riding and letting me do the work of getting us thru the rough terrain. Beside she like the idea of being able to sit beside me and chat (or complain) while we ride along. She was not a fan of being on separate machines when the going got tough and there was to much noise to try and communicate back and forth. She also has artificial hips so swinging a leg over her machine has become more difficult, but getting into the UTV has not been an issue.
I wish I was lucky enough to have your problem deciding where to ride in what state !! LOL.. The three states you mentioned all have great riding opportunities....far more than the miserable state of Ohio where I live. Fortunately I do live out of town in the country and the law doesn't bother anyone riding on the backroads as long as you behave yourself and don't do anything stupid. My neighbors and myself have back acres of simple trails that connect to each other on our properties so we do have some limited areas to ride around in, and it is also a good excuse to go for a ride and visit the neighbors..

Old 02-24-2016, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I wish it were true in Virginia. Here you have to trailer anywhere you want to go to find any long trails. My machine is a work horse, and trail riding has been few and far between. Like your wife, mine hasn't ridden is a few years either. Mostly we have both had health issues that have kept us off the trails. We are looking a few years down the road before the big move. And I want to ride now. Will pull the toy hauler over to Hatfield/McCoy this year, and possibly down to Florida. Not sure. I want to hit Daytona in July.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Well my good man you are certainly closer to quality trails than I am by many many miles. Been to hatfield/mcoy a couple times and looking forward to going back! Have also been reading about the many trails on closed or non-used coal mine roads availiable in WV, V, and Kentucky. Wife is not interested in going to those places, she wants a more simple scenic trail to go on. I am looking for people to go riding with ( around my age) that is not into racing or performance but just a nice day on the trails, mabey a little mud and water, but just a nice laid back get-a-way from it all trail ride...
I have come across a lot of younger folks but not many of us more mature folks that are into this. Years back my sister and her husband belonged to a riding group that tied camping and trail riding together and were older folks but she said even their group sort of fell apart over the last few years. That sucks....got me a new toy to go ridin....and nobody to ride with yet! I know it is still early and people have not looked that far ahead just yet...but I have two older grandkids that want to go so I will be doing some riding with them because before to long..Grandpa won't be as much fun as their other friends.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

Boy this thread has sure made a U turn from the OP's original question.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 AM
Pro Rider

Oh I hear you oud and clear on that. And believe me it has entered my mind more than once. Like yourself I have put the competition riding behind me, and frankly I don't care much for the large group outings either. Too much BS, and razzing going on, and they tend to be cliqueish on brands. I just want to enjoy a day of riding around and enjoying the nature around me. I don't care how long it takes to get there because you always end up where you started. With the machines on the trailer. It is the journey that is important. I don't care what people ride anymore. It is their choice. As long as they are safe in their operations, I am good with it. We have our grandsons for teh summer every year and get some riding in. They enjoy it immensly. Anything to get them off those damn video games. I tried the club riding experience a few times, too many rules to keep up with. It seemed just as we would kind of get comfortable with a few couples, health issues would take them out of the picture... or us for that matter. I am 4 years out from bypass surgery, and it took quite a while to recover from that. It is one reason I need power steering these days. Can't tug on those tank like handle bars like I used to. Anyway, great talking to you.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider

Canwoodsman... Yeah it happens. Sorry. You get two old guys talking and we kind of latch on. That is some of the good things about this sport.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Canwoodsman... Yeah it happens. Sorry. You get two old guys talking and we kind of latch on. That is some of the good things about this sport.
You said that right !! Will start a new thread "couple of old farts" we can chat there.