CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the Turbo worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awsome, I'm glad to hear it Scooby. That post right there answers the question of the original thread. Scooby bought it and loves it, so it is obviously worth it for him. Each person has to make up there own mind as to if any performance or cosmetic upgrade is "worth it" to them. I feel there are too many factors involved to put a blanket statment out there as to wether a turbo is "worth it" or not, I'm just glad to hear that Scooby feels his is.

Old 04-15-2001, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Pics may be available in about a week.

The boost gauge is fluctuating all over so I'm not real sure, maybe 12-15psi peak. I need to figure out what to use as a restriction in the line to dampen the response of the gauge.

I have the software for EFI adjustment and I bought a 486 laptop. I need to talk to Steve to find out how to make global jetting adjustments without changing the map manually. I noticed that Steve adjusted some parameters that were password protected. I don't know how to get to this screen and I don't have the password.

I have no idea if the turbo is the right size. There is no turbo lag at low to mid boost. However, I am concerned that there might be too much back pressure with this smaller turbo. It takes a large boost setting to gain power over stock and the upper RPMs don't feel like they are pulling as hard as the midrange. It's almost like there is a rev limit of some kind.

I don't know if the CFM of the air filter is restricting the air flow. The vanes are in the exhaust path I believe, not the inlet path. I tried disconnecting and plugging the hose that goes to the boost adjustment but I didn't notice any difference.

Steve may have made the whole map richer to be on the safe side initially. I am at a lower elevation here in Texas, and Oklahoma where the dunes are.

The springs are PAMI.

Old 04-15-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Keep in mind that you are still running the stock cams and valve springs, that may be why the top end feels like there is a rev limiter. What RPM is the fuel injection mapped out to also, if it isn't mapped high enough it will restrict your high RPM power. You may have to program RPM peramiters that did not exist befor.

Old 04-16-2001, 10:02 AM
Range Rover

Well here goes I hope your ready for this one. THE DS-650 SAGA
At the first news of the DS-650 I contacted the factory I was going to purchase 5 units from the first run for a 2000 mile race in Nevada I was going to video tape the race from a riders view on 3 different bikes. I even was at the dealers convention in Reno for its release. We got to spend a couple hours going over the DS-650. Since dealer demand was so high I was to get only 3 units at the end of the first run I didn't get any units. At the beginning of the second run I was put off again. I still wanted one for me and made a deal with a local shop. Still no luck.
In February 2000 I talked with a guy named Tom at Hiper Technology about a turbo banshee in the dirt wheels. After a couple of calls we made a deal I was going to purchase a DS-650 from a shop in Michigan and he would pick it up and take it to Hiper for an EFI/Turbo setup. The dealer came up short on the deal with an excuse that they opened a crate with what they though was a DS and it was a Traxter. Later I found out that the dealer wanted nothing to do with Hiper. Hiper calls me and they tell me they found another dealer with a DS so I send them the money for the Quad and $4000 for the EFI/Turbo. Months go by I have been told several times the bike is done, I get a set of 10 rims for the slicks to run on the dyno from Rocky Mountain and have them shipped to Hiper, I even get a special header pipe to increase exhaust flow made up and sent to Hiper, I even get pictures emailed to me and here it run over the telephone. Dirt Wheels was going to do an story on the setup, but Tom at Hyper keeps putting off the date. A couple weeks before deadline I am told no EFI/Turbo. I go up and do a story on Toy Box trailers in the Dumont Dunes with Dennis *** and his Family. Still more time goes by and nothing. They even stopped answering the phone. I am really getting worried and now all I want is to at least get the bike in my possession. When I finally got hold of them I was told all sorts of stories and told they did not have time to finish it for a while (they had to get ready for pikes peak). So I ask them to send it to me. I got it 5 months (June 2000) after I purchased it and it was in pieces, parts were missing, it was all scratched ect. ect. Then all S*&^ hits the fan (I'll skip this part). Tom has called me once (October 2000) and said he would make good, that was the last time I heard from him. So I fixed it up ($1000 LATER) and got it running with a new pipe and a Kehin FCR-41. After I got out run, out by the Cave Creek Dam, by one of DS-650.com bike. I talked with a guy (Can't remember his name), but he told me about thier web page (another one of my obsession) so I signed up (dadbandit). Then I decided it was time to complete my EFI/Turbo. After hours of research I decided to junk the EFI so I switched to a carburetor. I have put another $1500 and at least 100 hr. into it. I have only managed to use a few parts from the Hiper setup, some had to be modified, some had to be tossed. My first run I was experiencing a problem with exhaust pressure leaks I had to do some changing on the design, since I am doing my own R & D sometimes changes take me a couple weeks. I have not been able to get to the dyno I have use of so I did a second run this weekend. Still not satisfied with the carb tuning and exhaust energy back to the drawing board. If your interested Email me at dadbandit@home.com. I live in Scottsdale, AZ. If all goes well and I get enough interest I will sell kits.

John

Bike Info:
2000 DS-650 second run
Bought it new and sent directly to Hiper Tech for a EFI/Turbo setup.
#1 setup EFI-IRS module and throttle body, injector-unknown (Steve Benson thinks it might be one of his), header pipe one off special built by Protec, stainless steel straight through tail pipe, Aero Charger Turbo all installed by Hiper Tech. Never got the mapping software or connection cable for laptop interface, Bike when received did not run. Hyper Tech will not return my calls or e-mails.
#2 setup Protec Chromed pipe, Kehin FCR-41 Flatslide, 22x11x9 Maxxis Razr 6 ply rear tires, 23x7x10 6 ply front tires, Ron Woods intake, K&N filter (Stock air box and direct carb). (had purchase one of ron woods stage one kits but sold it to a friend when I made the deal with Hiper Tech)
Current setup stock header pipe and custom built rear exhaust (myself) to a areo charger turbo and a stainless steel straight through tail pipe, electric fuel pump regulators and return system custom built (myself), intake tube and blowoff and plenum chamber custom built (myself) screamin eagle carburetor, ron woods intake, ron woods HD clutch spring, R217-10 spark plug, K&N filter hooked directly off turbo, pro-design tether kill switch, MSR handle bars, VDO boost gauge and VDO pyrometer mounted in stock dash, 40 & 35 Tooth Rear Sprockets, 22x11x9 maxxis razr 6 ply rear tires, 23x7x10 6 ply front tires, 21x7x10 mohalk on douglas black label, 22x11x10 edge 11 paddle on douglas black label, 20x11x9 hauler 8 paddle on douglas stock rims.
At first glance bike looks and sounds stock
Check out pictures at http://ds650.myatv.net/photo6.html

Old 04-16-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

OMG! You lived the nightmare that anyone having anything custom built fears. I can't believe you haven't taken them to court for breach of contract. I quess your answer to the thread would be that it may not be worth it yet? I'd love to check out one of your turbo's when you get the kits together. Do you make the trip to Dumont any time? If so, let me know, I'll meet up with you so we can check out eachothers rides if you would like.

Old 04-16-2001, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

In response to your e-mail to me over the weekend,
the bike I'm picking up is the prototype Steve built and put in the sand show last fall. I've ridden the bike briefly and it runs well. There is some tweaking that needs to be done to the EFI and I'll add an aquamist cooling system to thwart off detonation at higher boost levels. You have a lot more faith in humanity than I do,( buying it sight unseen) and I feel for what you've been thru. I've had some very costly lessons in life as well and I hope that if you decide to design Turbo kits that you'll have success in you endevors.
good luck

Old 04-29-2001, 04:26 AM
Range Rover

Intercooling does not always increase engine HP, it does help with keeping temperatures down in most cases. From my emails with Scooby my temperatures are running about the same. If all goes well I feel the carb should work as good as an EFI without some of the mapping hassles (no computer or hookups). I am running a smaller turbo that should come on at lower RPM's and not rob lowend power while still gaining some impressive HP. I will be putting it on a dyno soon and be able to give actual not presumed gains. Time will tell. I have talked with someone building turbo charged Harleys and he has reached 300 HP with the same carb I am running (no intercooler). There is allot more to my setup than I think most people realize, Besides the new carb there is a fuel delivery and return system that compensates for the turbo boost as well as a aluminum plenum chamber between the turbo and the carb as well as a blowoff for when you shut off the throttle. I am using a stock header pipe that has a modified tail section to hook to the turbo and then a tubo exhaust that is part of the turbo mounting bracket then a stainless steel tailpipe. My goal is to keep the bike looking stock and rideable. There has been a modification to the tail section since I took the pictures. If I get enough interest I hope to be able to sell kits around $5000.

Old 04-30-2001, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So far mine is NOT worth it. I am having a lot of problems. I will probably have to pay someone to get this thing setup right.

Old 04-30-2001, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

what problems are you having ? is it primarily fuel mapping? that's the one that concerns me.

Old 05-02-2001, 12:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lack of performance, lack of throttle response, slow buildup of power, bogging at take off. EFI map issues. Fuel pump relay blows out on me every couple days of riding. EFI unit mysteriously shuts itself off while riding. Motor stalls out from time to time due to fuel pump shutting off. Overnight, the idle jumped up to 3000RPM and would not lower no matter what I tried. My 80486 50MHz Laptop computer is too fast for ECU serial port interface - I had to use a shareware program to slow down the computer. Serial port cable has wires breaking off, need to be re-soldered. Can't see laptop screen out in day light. Mechanical Boost gauge is useless, need to scrap it and find another gauge that won't mind a little vibration. Without a working gauge I am guessing what boost I am running - as a result I ran too high a boost for the fuel I had in the tank at the time, causing minor detonation visible on the plugs. Waste gate was not pre-configured for high boost. Spent hours messing with waste gate trying to stiffen the spring for more boost - there's no way to tell whether you are over spinning the turbo until the turbo breaks! I heard some strange noises the other day - not sure yet if I damaged something. Clutch was slipping prior to adding HD clutch springs. Clutch still feels weak so I ordered new friction plates. Throttle cable a little too short or is routed poorly causing the throttle to open when turning the handlebars. Need mechanical or electronic switches for fast boost control - tired of adjusting wastegate with hand tools. Ceramic coating on header pipes not holding up. Air filter melts at the turbo inlet connection and also bangs against my knee breaking the seal and letting sand into the turbine.

Quick Reply: Is the Turbo worth it?