CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the Turbo worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

supercharged a year ago. runs great!!!!

Old 05-02-2001, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

EGAD!!! Scooby that just sucks. Sorry to hear about all those problems. Starting to sounds like turbos, efi, and computers just don't mix well with sand, dirt, and vibration. Hope you find someone that is willing to take on the job of fixing the bugs.

Old 05-02-2001, 01:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The jetting is so far off that the motor won't rev above 7200 RPM. The turbo may be too big as well. I estimate that I'm not making more than ~60RWHP at present. To the dyno she goes...

Old 05-02-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

very sorry to hear the extensiveness of the problems- I think I hear the TP 760 kit calling my name- there's no way I want to take on the problems you're dealing with right now -just don't have the time.
Have you talked to Steve? is he being helpful at all?
Good luck to you and keep us abreast of the situation.

Old 05-03-2001, 11:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

When I can get a hold of Steve and he's not busy or out of town, he is helpful so far.

I figured out why the motor was racing at idle! After exhausting all efforts using the ECU software to debug the problem I was 50% confident that it may not be the ECU causing the racing at idle. I did some reading about this problem on EFI cars - an intake air leak of some sort was most likely to blame. So I took the throttle body out and at first couldn't find any place where a valve was stuck open allowing airflow at idle. Then I noticed something strange about the butterfly. It bolts to the rod with 2 tiny screws, but one screw was missing. With the 4-40 size screw missing, there was a tiny hole allowing airflow at idle which caused the 3000RPM idle. I think I got lucky and didn't damage the engine or turbo by passing a tiny screw through them! Also, I found out that the chain was getting loose and wacking the frame so this explains the strange sounds I was hearing that I thought were coming from the turbo. And I drained the bad gas and put in Sunoco Blue 112 octane. She's running half way decent now. But of course I still need to get to the dyno and optimize the fuel map. I did a little reading in some EFI books and I am confident that some of the throttle response issues are fuel map related and can be solved. I replaced the fuel pump relay with a different brand, so hopefully it will not blow out anymore. Steve sent me a new ECU to try. Hopefully this one will not mysteriously shut off on me while riding. To solve the air filter problem I need to use a boot to couple to the filter that can withstand higher temperatures than the soft rubber filter. I may have a pipe made to run the filter under the seat similar to your turbo DS. The ECU is starting to grow on me now. I just takes getting used to. The more I use the ECU program, the more I like it. I wish it had ignition curve control though.

Probably won't get to the dyno Friday, so next week I should know a lot more...

Old 05-04-2001, 03:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scooby,

I'd have to say taking on a challenge such as an untried Turbo DS650 is quite a lot more than most people could ever deal with. I'd like to say I think you are the only person I have seen whom I think can stand to take so much time to get your project to work perfectly. I never even had the patience for a Gas Powered R/C Truck. (Anyone want to buy a hardly used RC10GT haha)

It sounds like after some work this turbo thing will likely run pretty well. Be sure to keep us all up to date, it's interesting to hear how it is going for you.

Congratulations on such a unique toy.

Old 05-08-2001, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

Let me know when your ready to step to the 760. I'm putting a big valved, race ported version together now for one of our fellow message posters. This version will blow away my 760, and that doesn't happen very often. And I believe it will still be less expensive than a turbo, and much easier to set up and ride. Aside from tuning jets and needles for the best power, it's got about the same maintainance as a stock motor and seams to actually run cooler. Right now, it looks like Dirt Wheels will be doing a review on it in the Sept. issue, and I'm hoping that BombardierDS650.com will be doing one even sooner.

Old 05-09-2001, 06:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Went to have the DS dyno'd today. The turbo would not make any boost. Noises were coming from the turbo. The turbo is probably bad. I'm beginning to think this project just wasn't meant to be.

Old 05-09-2001, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

sorry to here that ScoobyDFW,been following your posts hope you get things worked out,you got this far hope you dont give up
Good luck
jeff

Old 05-09-2001, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Damn Scooby, you've not had any luck at all, have you? I'm sorry that your having all the problems, I wish I could help. What do you think caused the turbo to fail? If it was sand from the filter problems you had, that would put sand into the motor as well. I hope that wasn't it. If that was the problem, make sure you keep an eye out for loss of compression.

Quick Reply: Is the Turbo worth it?