CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the Turbo worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If any one has one, tell us about it?

Old 04-11-2001, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Although I don't have a turbo DS, I've had an opportunity to check one out. I realize that there is a certain "cool factor" that goes along with something as trick as this, but the value of that novelty can only be placed by the owner of one.
Of coarse, I can talk about the performance and cost that can be involved with building this sort of power. It seems to me, that there are easyer ways to build the sort of power that a turbo puts out as well as less expensive means. There is also the matter of finding someone to build one and/or work on it after it's built. If everything is working properly, I believe that a turbo can put out equal or greater power than a naturally aspirated motor, but is it worth the time, money and frustration of tuning to get this power when a motor can be built to create similar levels at lower cost and expence. Another advantage could be ridability, does a turbo's "hit" disrupt the available traction if riden at anything less than full throttle on a surface other than sand.

Unfortunatly, my 760 was not up and running at the time I had to check out the turbo quad[no, it had nothing to do with the motor] so I could not compair side by side, but I'm confident from seat of the pants and compairing the turbo to a stock DS, that the increased displacement motor easily out powered the turbo. I'll admitt that the turbo was working out bugs that held back it's performance, but I'm not convinced that it would have enough added power to make up for it's shortcomings.

I hope that Majorecho and I get a chance to get together once he gets his his turbo delivered, so we can compair. But from what I've seen so far, I prefer my Team Pami motor.

Old 04-11-2001, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Knutz, Do you have any plans to get that 760
dyno tested- if I'm not mistaken Dyno Jet has a facility in your neck of the woods/desert. I'd be real curious to know what that kit is capable of.
Is the turbo bike you saw Scoobys'?

Old 04-11-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I'm trying hard to get accurate dyno #'s but it isn't as easy as I'd hoped. The Dyno Jet facility here in town is a research facility and does not do public work. I've talked to them about helping me, and I've not been exactly welcomed. I have had 1 dyno pass on it, but don't feel confident that the results were accurate. The tech that ran it told me he had peak HP #'s but the torque #'s were not right due to tire spin. From what I know, you can't get accurate HP without accurate torque #'s because HP is calculated from torque. I just feel this tech was an idiot and don't want to release uncertain #'s[although this # was pretty good] Trust me, I can't wait to tell everyone what I get! I'm sure my curve is going to be really strong.

Old 04-12-2001, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

Hey Knutz have your figured out the price for the 760 kit yet? Where in Las Vegas are you located? I will be out there the weekend of May 18th, and I would love to check out your DS! I need more power! Get a hold of me at lubaczewski@juno.com

Old 04-12-2001, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The clutch was slipping at a boost level that produced power gain. Therefore the testing was pretty much useless. This weekend I will have the HD clutch springs installed. The ECU needs to be further optimized as well using the laptop interface.

Old 04-12-2001, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Starting from scratch[i.e. stock ignition,carb,etc..] the retail price for a complete 760 kit is at $5300. That may sound steep, but when compaired to the Ron Woods Racing stage 3 kit at $4111, you are getting alot more for your money. There are also multiple options that can give additional power at added costs. By the same token, credit can be deducted if a customer already has a 45MM or larger carb or an aftermarket ignition box that they chose to keep.

Let me know when you come into town, I'd like to meet up with you and let you check out the 760. My shop is not open to the public as my sales are predominantly mail order, but I'll meet you somewere so we can go ride!

Old 04-15-2001, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The HD clutch springs solved the slippage. I took the DS to the dunes today. I love the topend power!!! I'm guestimating I was running only around 60 RWHP at present. I couldn't turn the boost way up though. With the boost set higher the DS was running too rich. I raced a STG III DS. Passed it in 3rd gear and beat it by around 5-6 lengths in topend. I was running stock gearing, but will go taller next weekend. I'm also going to try to bump the power up another 15-25HP.

I love this thing, it is here to stay!!! It is much more fun to ride now. I couldn't get off of it all day long.

Old 04-15-2001, 05:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Now all we need are some pics of that thing racing, and life will be good. Oh yeah, and don't break it or crash it or anything... ok? I wanna see that thing run one of these days.

Old 04-15-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Good to hear that you are pleased so far.
now for a couple of questions:
1. How much boost were you running?
2. Did Steve set you up with the software to tweak your mapping?
3. Do you think the compressor is the right size for max boost at higher rpms.(I'm wondering out loud because you state that you are too rich- not enough air? can you adjust the vanes?)
4. Are your HD springs Team Pami or Woods Racing?
thanks
I'm really looking forward to getting my new bike!

Quick Reply: Is the Turbo worth it?