CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the Turbo worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gosh, scooby, looks like you're having a melting pot of troubles!!
I hardly can imagine how frustrating it is to ride, everyone looking at you (or your quad) and the EFI stops...leaving you stranded.
Hope you get this sorted out...if ever you gave up...I'd be glad to take your "mistake" away from you .

But you have to get this sorted out...problems will stop one day or another...

Old 05-10-2001, 12:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I removed the turbo and my suspecion was true, the turbo needs to be re-built. There were some metal pieces that fell out of the turbo. When I shake the turbo I can hear other loose metal pieces rattling around. I think it has to do with the vanes and what opens and closes them. To me it seems like premature failure given that the turbo was brand new and took 7 weeks for aerocharger to deliver it. I had the DS out 3-4 times at most. I doubt there is any warranty and if there is they will probably say the turbo was modified so the warranty is void. Aerocharger happens to be in Dallas where I live so I may try to have them look at it. But then again it could take forever for aerocharger to fix it so I might just send the turbo to be rebuilt in one day somewhere else. I can't afford more down time. Now I have to decide whether to rebuild the turbo to the exact same specs or try a different size turbo. After this I'm still back to the same EFI problems so the next step would be to resolve the EFI map issues.

Old 05-10-2001, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

This is in response to Knutz statement about torque and hp numbers. What you need to realize is that many people refer to low-end power as torque and high-end power as horsepower. Of course this isn't exactly correct since various values of hp and torque are found at all rpms. However, at low rpm the torque numbers are "dominate" while at higher rpm the hp is usually a better indicator of the capabilities of the motor. That being said, I believe what the tech was trying to tell you was that the wheel spin was only noticeable on the low-end. Therefore, both the hp and torque numbers down there would be faulty but the numbers registered at higher rpms should be correct. Unless the tech was a complete moron, he should have been able to maintain wheelspin on the top end (since by then the dyno had time to "catch-up" and the acceleration of the engine was no longer as great).

Old 05-11-2001, 12:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I taked to Steve and he suggested seeing if I can fix the turbo myself and save some money. I took the turbine housing off to acccess the vanes. The vanes were all bent out of shape and stuck in the open state which explains why there was no boost. The vanes can be bent back with pliers, although it is time consuming and very tedious - 15 vanes to work on. I also found out that something wasn't right with the "wastegate" opening/closing. Really there is no wastegate, it is the control for the position of the vanes - open, closed, or inbetween. I should be able to re-assemble the vane control so it is working properly. Part of the problem was too much pressure on the rod due to the fact that I added some washers behind the spring to get more boost. The higher boost and the screw that went threw the turbo was what messed up the vanes. Bottom line, I think I can have the turbo patched up this weekend so I can get back to the EFI map adjustments, postponing the turbo re-build until I know more about how the DS is performing with the current size of the turbo. The dyno shop told me I was way too rich. For a charged system, I need to be 1350-1400 degrees at all RPMs above idle. I was in the 900-1000 degree range during low & mid RPM, and never went above 1200. The EFI map has a "built in rev limit" above around 7000RPM, because the map values are huge numbers for WOT and RPM > 7000. I can easily remove this rev limit.

Old 05-15-2001, 10:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

After spending a day fixing the turbo and re-assembling everything, the turbo is still not making boost. I am going to have the turbo re-built here in Dallas over the next week by having the job submitted through Hiper Technology. Hiper can push the job through faster than I could, so they think I can have the turbo back for Memorial Day Weekend. Hiper may help me get the turbo fine tuned, but this could also involve some minor changes to the setup. Both Hiper and Mr. Turbo are getting around 90 RWHP out of the Raptor at 13 psi w/o an intercooler. The same ought to be possible for the DS.

Old 05-19-2001, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

http://*****************/fyamaquadfr...71.topic<br />

There's guy there who talks about someone who got his turbo DS sorted out in Idaho...maybe that might help...

Old 05-19-2001, 10:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

what is the website? the url is censored!

Old 05-20-2001, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, that link is kinda tough to guess.

Old 05-21-2001, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

oops, sorry.

instead of the stupid stars, type p u b 3 3 . e z b o a r d . c o m

I'll watch this one of it gets censored or not. (PS this censoring REALLY $ucks).

EDIT!
should work now.