CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tell me the good and the bad of the 650 outlander.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me the good and the bad of the 650 outlander.

I'm looking at this model.

2018 Can-Am Outlander? 650 Max North Edition for sale in St. Albert, AB | Riverside Honda & Ski-Doo 1-800-819-7433

I'm attracted to it because it has the extra low low range, heated grips, windsheild etc..

I know I'm talking to can am guys here, but tell me the problems these things have please. And tell me the good.

I'll be using it to pull a 600-1000lbs tub trailer, driving in deep snow pulling a 300lbs sled, using it to haul a 17ft lund with a 50hp 4 stroke into small lakes, riding lots of deep soggy muskeg. It will get 28inch mud bug tires

My concerns with this machince are what I've heard about can am's

-lots of engine heat. yes I understand its the fuel programming, but I dont really want to get a programmer. Can the dealer tune it properly for me?

-low end toque. it's my understanding can am's have lots of mid range power, but the low end is lacking. For towing and muskeg, I need the low end. In muskeg if you got no low end and need to give it throttle to turn the tires, you end up digging a hole.

-over heating. I know "keep the rad clean", but it seems I hear about atv's over heating mostly from can am guys. I'm not going to be mudding all day long, but my concern is it over heating while towing.

-snapping axles, belts etc... Again, seems like I hear this mostly from the can am guys. Granted the guys I go with have older can am''s. Are the new ones as bad?

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The 650 doesn't put out as much heat as the 800 (older models), 850, or 1000 cc. I find it bearable in long pants.

A V-twin 650 is not going to have the kind of torque a single cylinder 650 would. It's designed for higher horsepower over low end as you said. That being said, I've pulled a trailer with about 32 cubic feet of space with fresh cut hardwood logs up and down the hills of VT and NH over a hundred times by now. You just have to give it more gas and it will pull it. You will run out of traction long before you run out of power. With the extra low gearing it will be even better.

Never had an issue with the 650 overheating. Mine is a Generation 1 frame. The Generation 2 framed quads have even better cooling. If you're concerned with the muskeg I would get the radiator relocating kit that moves the intakes and radiator up on the front rack. Worth the money if you're going to ride that kind of mud.

I have 27 inch Interco Swamplites on mine and have never snapped any of the suspension components. I did manage to snap a couple bolts that held the sub-frame under the rear rack onto the main frame. That's after over 4000 miles of rough trails. I took my first belt off at 1500 miles to look at it as I plow snow in the winter. Didn't look all that worn. The second belt lost a couple of the cog notches when I was about 20 miles out from my truck. My fault. I had been doing 10 mph without shifting it into low. Should have. Decided to head back to the truck as I had more tools and I was by myself. Been running fine since then. I've seen a handful of small issues among the guys with Can-Ams. No more than any other brand that I can think of. Bearings, control arm bushing, minor stuff.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi maybehonda: Welcome to the ATV Connection. It was here I was asking the same questions as you are about Can Am ATVs. It's a lot of bucks thrown on the table without good data and good reviews about the product.

So I purchased a Can Am Outlander Max. I liked the style, fit and finish, Rotax engine and the color of the bodywork. I didn't like the price compared to the others I considered. I have been very happy with my Outlander so far. But Moose has much more experience than I have. He actually uses his machine as intended.

I have not found engine heat to be awful terrible. It is warm on the left leg where the exhaust pipes run and the CVT exhaust dumps. I think Can Am has made some improvements to reduce heat exhaust on the rider's leg. There are some steps a guy can take to mitigate the heat if so inclined. I remind myself I'm sitting on a high horsepower engine with some plastic between me and the exhaust. I think folks have less trouble with motorcycle heat as the engine is more exposed, the ground speeds are higher, the the exhaust is often run lower.

My machine has been trouble free in the first 18 hours. I recommend the Can Am for comfortable and spirited trail riding. It might be a 700cc single would make a better workhorse.

David

Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice guys. It helps.

Would a clutch kit bring the low end toque I need? Or is the Vtwin just not going to do what I need it to do?

Keep in mind my 2010 arctic car 550 with 27 mud bugs and a dalton clutch kit tows everything I need it too. It is a single cylinder, but I think its around 500cc's

Old 06-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

I went looking at them yesterday. I really like the CanAms, really everything except the price. I have someone interested in my Arctic Cat 400 and would like to replace it with something a bit bigger. Need a mate for my AC 700 Diesel. Once you've driven a diesel, you realize what torque is all about. Next, I'm going to look at a TRV 1000 AC. I think I can get one for around $10,000, same chassis as the Diesel.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hydrex
I went looking at them yesterday. I really like the CanAms, really everything except the price. I have someone interested in my Arctic Cat 400 and would like to replace it with something a bit bigger. Need a mate for my AC 700 Diesel. Once you've driven a diesel, you realize what torque is all about. Next, I'm going to look at a TRV 1000 AC. I think I can get one for around $10,000, same chassis as the Diesel.
I drive a diesel truck. A diesel engine is a completely different motor for a completely different purpose. Yes there is some cross over between the purpose of gas and a diesel, but their main purposes are totally different imo.

I'm at the point in my life that I'm fine to pay the price to get a higher quality machine. But if I'm paying more, I deffinitely want higher quality, not just a faster ride.

I own a TRV. Honestly, if your going to use it for anything other than groomed trails I'd stay away. Again, its just my personal opinion but I have expereince to back it up.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like most everything about Can-ams except the price too. The Outlander L series is a decent value but no 650 there, just the 450 single and 570 twin. The Outlander 650 has more power than a Brute Force 750 and the Brute Force has a 100cc displacement advantage. I don't think you would ever find the Outlander 650 lacking in power. For heavy work like pulling the trailer or boat you'd simply put it in low range. That should give you plenty of grunt to get the job done. A lot of the axle breaking issues for Can-am and most every other brand is the owner's fault. They put huge lifts and gigantic tires on their machines and wonder why the stock components can't handle the extra stress. As long as you don't go bigger than 27 or 28 inch tires, you should be ok. Stock size is 26 inch I believe so that would only be slightly larger.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

I think if you put these 27" Outlaw MST"s on that 650 Can Am, you'll be grinning. I bought for my Diesel, but until the turbocharger is done, been running on my AC 400. Awesome traction! Supposed to be great snow tires too. Where I used to need 4wd, now 2 wd is fine. BTW my Diesel is a TRV, already goes anywhere, just took off 30" Mudzillas, can't wait to put the MST's on.

Attached Thumbnails Tell me the good and the bad of the 650 outlander.-p1010204.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by maybehonda
Thanks for the advice guys. It helps.

Would a clutch kit bring the low end toque I need? Or is the Vtwin just not going to do what I need it to do?

Keep in mind my 2010 arctic car 550 with 27 mud bugs and a dalton clutch kit tows everything I need it too. It is a single cylinder, but I think its around 500cc's
I honestly think it will have the torque you need. Just punch it in low range and it'll get it moving. I wouldn't bother with a clutch kit unless you're going up more than a couple inches on tire diameter. I think 2 inches won't rob enough power to really notice it. More than that....?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a new 2016 Can Am Outlander 650 DPS Max 4 months ago. The power is amazing coming from a 2009 Suzuki King Quad 750. Don't get me wrong, the KQ750 was a torque monster, but only rated @ 49hp while this 650 is rated @ 62hp and you can definitely tell the difference.

2. Comfortable ride!
3. Fit and finish very good!
4. The DPS power steering is awesome!

Dislikes:
1. The rear end makes a winding noise as your increase speeds, but the dealer tells me it is because of the heavy duty machined gears. Not sure I believe that!
2. The front end squeaks a lot. About to take it in for my 25hr service and have them look at it.

Bottom line, I've been impressed, but also not to happy with the noise thing. Other than that, it is a powerful awesome quad. I did purchase the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty too and I have 27" ITP XTR tires, 2" highlifter lift kit and fully aluminum skid plates along with the front rail rack and the back cargo box.