CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Piston connecting rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston connecting rod

Hello all, I have a 2000 DS 650, just tore most of the engine apart. I'm waiting on the flywheel puller to arrive, but from what I can tell the connecting rod has some play in it. Does anyone one know are they suppose to have alittle play? Does anyone have a stock connecting rod or bearing for sale? Thanks........

Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No play! Is the play at the crank pin where the rod attaches to the crankshaft? I am assuming this. That means the bushing is shot. You will have to split the case and turn your old crank in as a core on a new or rebuilt crank. I imagine that will set you back about $800 just for the crank.

I hope I am misunderstanding. That is a painful, expensive process. You could do a stroker while you are in there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah the play is between the crank and connection rod. The bearing your talking about, is that connected to the rod or the crank? can you just change the bearing? .......Thanks

Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check with Falicon. http://www.faliconcranks.com/rotax.htm

Or, any of the below should be able to help you out.

The Bomb Racing
HP Research
TVI - DS Works - Gary once told me he was trying to exchange cores with Bomb for about $300 if I remember right.
KMS Turbo - I think Kelly has a source that will split your crank and put a new bearing in and then put it together and re-balance it.
On Dunes Performance

New cranks from the dealer are expensive. I've got one from an engine I'ld for sure sell for $800 without a core. Heck. . . $800. . . that's crazy they want that much for them.

You also may be able to find someone looking to do a stroker crank that will sell you theirs and take yours for the stroker core. I'ld contact The Bomb Racing and HP Research about this option.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rajaa11
Yeah the play is between the crank and connection rod. The bearing your talking about, is that connected to the rod or the crank? can you just change the bearing? .......Thanks
To be direct. . . I'ld pick up the phone and talk to one of the guys on my other post. You can better describe what's going on and they can better look to solve your issues. All are good people.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help, now where are those numbers so I can call.......The bad thing is I didn't even have this bike for 3 hours!!!!! The Bike sat for 8 months then I brought it, I finally got it started and didn't know about bleeding the oil pressure...... so I rode it down the block and when I got back the engine was knocking.......Man I can't win for losing........

Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You may be better off finding a stock engine and parting out the engine you have.

Keep your eye on e-bay and get an engine off there or somewhere else then sell yours for parts.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have been looking on ebay but no dice, well thanks for the info... And if anyone has a stock motor or crank I'm willing to buy......thanks again....I'll keep you posted

Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had to buy a crank for the same reason on my 2000 DS. I bought it from TVI. I traded in my crank with the shot bushing and $750 back in 2004. These things are off the chart.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
I had to buy a crank for the same reason on my 2000 DS. I bought it from TVI. I traded in my crank with the shot bushing and $750 back in 2004. These things are off the chart.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Dang. . . I've got one in the garage I'ld definitely let go for that price!

I remember bidding on a spare on e-bay once. . . Scooby outbid me. . . I think he goes through them enough to where he picks them up just to put on the shelf for the next re-build.

Quick Reply: Piston connecting rod