CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Eletrical or charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eletrical or charging issue

Last year my DS started to sputter and not want to run, I parked it and now trying to repair it. I thought it was a carb issue so I rebuilt it. My battery is toast so I used another and some jumper cables to get it running. After getting it started and running, I removed the cables and it wants to die and as soon as I hit the throttle it will die. It is lacking power to keep up with spark I believe. I put the cables back on and restarted it, I turned the headlights on to see it the lights would power on after I remove the cables and let it just idle. I removed the cables and it runs perfect. I turn the lights off and it wants to die again. This led me to check the idiot lights and they are not working. There is power to them but the bulbs are not working . I likely damaged them while trying to remove the wires to work on the Tac. So my thought is the red light is the idiot light that must activate the charging system like on cars and trucks but then I thought is the red light a low oil light or idiot light or some how both?

My second question is , I replaced the oil lines, filled the oil tank to the correct line on the dipstick. I pulled the dipstick to recheck after it was running and the tank if super full to the top and spilled out. Any idea why?

Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one? all I know is it will run without a battery if the bright lights are on and will die if the brights are off.