CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

do you wear MX boots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years ago I had a get off which resulted in a 4"X6" peg drag on the back of my calf above the top of the hi top type boots I was wearing, took out some meat and gave me a pretty good ankle sprain that resulted in some minor permenent damage to the left ankle. after that I got some Thor MX boots but the suckers are so stiff I can't shift except with the edge of the sole, I've tryed using boot oil about 6 times on them and while they are a little softer it just aint working so I'm thinking about geting some of the Gaerne ATV boots that are suposed to be more flexible. So do you wear MX boots? anybody got the Gaerne boots? how do they compare to say a hi top work boot? all coments are welcome, thanks

Old 05-08-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Old 05-08-2001, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I wear gaerna mx boots and they work perfect on my ds lots of room. when i had my lt250 i could not wear them shifter and peg way to close.they have plenty of flex in them..

Old 05-08-2001, 03:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I definitely wear MX boots, not because I have had any sort of incident as yours but I'm trying to avoid ever having such. I received AXO CX-1 Motor cross boots for Christmas about a year ago, and basically wore them around the house whenever I was home for a week prior to my first riding trip with them. This worked out very well, as the boots from ride one have been flexible (though no where near as flexible as high top work boots) and very comfortable and definitely a good choice. This exact model is not made any more but I have heard of a company who makes boots specifically for ATVs, which have actual, tread on the bottom as opposed to the nearly flat-smooth bottom of true MX boots.

I have heard reviews in magazines and from people who own the Thor boots that they are indeed a little uncomfortable and stiff. I believe as long as you aren't buying anything on the very bottom of the line and try on enough different pairs to get a good feel of the differences you'll be alright this time. I was very limited in the choices I had since most boots stop at size 12 or even 13, and I needed a size 14 - hopefully no one else has this same problem as it makes for a very difficult search. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2001, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

YES.........Thors do start out stiff,but if you keep walking& riding in them they will get more comfortable & flexible...I have had a pair for last two years.Recently bought a pair of Alpinestars tech -8's...talk about STIFF...need to break them in!
I almost never ride w/o boots,have seen too many foot/ankle injuries.WEAR BOOTS ALWAYS!
Just about a month ago my boots saved my left foot/ankle from being injured while riding my TRX250R,I had gotten use to the DS's foot guard and when I rode the R my heel slipped off peg during a landing and went almost all the way under rear tire before I was able to get it out,.....thank goodness I had the boots ON.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I myself wear tech 8 alpinestars which in my opinion are way too much for atv's real heavy and pretty stiff but I also race motorcross. I picked up a pair of M4's which is an atv boot lighter and not as stiff but I'm so used to the tech 8's I'm selling the m4's brand new still in the box never been worn outside size 11 blue/black let me know if interested

Old 05-09-2001, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

too small for me, I need a 12 or 13 thanks for the replies maybe I'll try some more around the house wearing to see if it helps, but I don't think these will be it for me, these are size 12 if anybody is interested

Old 05-14-2001, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Anybody else got any other boot recomendations?