CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

WB E-Series Pro-Meg Slip On

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 08:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally broke down and bought my first two mods for my DS. One was a K&N/Outerwear combo and the other was a White Brother's E-Series Pro-Meg slip on exhaust. I received them both last Wednesday, put them on the bike Thursday evening, and promptly headed to the dunes on Friday for a weekend of playtime.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box and packing of the exhaust were the welds. I have to say they are beautiful and clean. The pipe looked like a piece of art. Even the bracket was extremely clean and looked very solid. All the mounting hardware was included and the only thing you need to do is save your rubber inserts from your old pipe. Installation took about 40 minutes and would have taken 30 if I hadn't slammed my knuckles into my foot peg trying to get the springs off. Damn that hurt. Other than my little injury, everything lined up perfectly and went on without a hitch.

Before anything else I'll give a bit of information. The bike is a 2000 model with 20x10x10 10-paddle edges. I'm 6'3" and weigh in at 310 pounds. The riding was done at Pismo beach sand dunes at sea level.

Well, I finally made it to the dunes and started the bike up. It's quite a bit louder than stock to say the least. If you're in a sound sensitive area I'd probably look to another unit but I was running the supplied number of discs and I'm sure if you ran half as many the pipe would quite down some. It's almost sounds like half a piped Harley if that makes any sense.

As far as performance increase I'll say that the gains were indeed noticeable. Second gear starts with the stock exhaust were a complete joke, they just didn't happen. On top of that, I could never lift the front end off the ground. With the WB exhaust (and K&N) I could launch in second without any problem at all. In fact I had to sit further up on the bike to keep the front end down when racing at comp hill. I went up against a few bikes ranging from 250r's to banshees and the bike really held it's own especially with a 300+ pound rider on it. If the runs had been longer I think I would have faired better because I had to relearn my takeoffs. As far as general play riding I gained about a half a gear. By this I mean that in the past I'd always ride into a bowl in second and would have to wind it out never hitting third. Now I'd still start out in second but could hit third and have it pull fairly well but not great. Another thing I got to do that I really could never do before with any real success was practice my wheelies. Starting out in second gear and rolling hard on the throttle the front came up cleanly. It was very nice to finally be able to blip the throttle of a lip of a small drop off and have the front come up to land flat at the bottom.

As far as durability goes I rode the bike a total of about 15 hours and no complaints. No discoloration, no broken welds, and no loose hardware. Like I said, I was practicing my wheelies and sat the bike on it's tail a couple times. I checked each time and there were no dings, cracks, or leaks.

Overall I'm very happy with my new pipe. I decided to purchase this on because I live about 5 miles away from WB and I had heard such crappy things about other pipes. I did consider the Custom X but one thing didn't sit well with me and that was they come from Australia. Not that that's a bad thing it's just that if there was a problem I could just drive down the street and bag my fist on their table.

Well, that wraps up my novel. Hope you've gained some info that is beneficial.

Old 05-14-2001, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

How's the top-end of the pipe???later

Old 05-15-2001, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well its great to hear of the saga of the WB pipe how much did they pay you to write it? Or have they really got their game together?

In reading these forums it the first time that Ive heard anything good about a WB pipe unlike the Custom X.

At least Custom X will give you the dyno results and an expected gain not like other pipe vendors that say "up to". Well thats my gripe, Custom X does it for me (and about everybody else by looking at these and other forums).

650havoc

Old 05-15-2001, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

As far as the top end goes there is probably only a marginal gain. The gains I noticed were from just after idle and into the midrange. I will say that I felt alot faster on top but I'm attributing that to the new sound pouring out of my bike.

As far as the quality goes and wether or not they paid me, I can say that a friend of mine bought the exact same pipe for his DS and we have both experienced the same thing. Both pipes were very well put together, the welds were all solid, everything lined up perfectly, and the gains in the bike were noticable. I'm not saying it's like bolting on nitrous but rather the performance was worth the money spent.

Old 05-16-2001, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Quicksand
Do you ever ride in the desert?I also live in Fullerton,we should get together sometime and compare our DS 650s
Bearman

Old 05-16-2001, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the post , it was most informative.

Old 05-16-2001, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

Custom X are now in the process of allocating a dealer distributor in the US for all the range of there products. Ill keep you all informed.

Xray