CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Toe-in or Toe-out? Utility trailer makes great alignment rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding on a particularly squirrly piece of smooth graded forest service road with a layer of loose stuff right on top of smooth hardpack. I was thinking I had about a 1/8" of Toe-in. The baja DS had 1/8" of toe-out, I think. So I thought I'd take a look at the DS, using a tape measure, tire center to tire center, in front of the front tires, and at the rear of the front tires. Simple enough, having the adjustable TimmyBoy upper A-arms makes you very aware of your steering geometry.
But I had already loaded the DS on my utility trailer for a Father's Day ride. Then I looked at the DS on the utility trailer and said,"Hey Look, it's an alignment rack!". So using the frame rails of the utility trailer, I measured the toe-in/toe-out off of the utility trailer. Very convenient, very accurate.
So I changed the toe-in to 1/16" toe-out. Did a little smooth fast graded road action and, Oh, yeah, that's it. If you think about it, toe-in makes the quad go the opposite direction when you lean or move your weight from side to side. Toe-out makes you go right when you shift your weight to the right, etc. Just a tiny smidge keeps you going straight till you shift your weight. Very nice, very stabile, even in the marbley stuff.