Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need opinion on buying utility ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am shopping for a utility ATV to use for work (land surveying).

Typical site conditions: muddy and/or snow covered fields 80%, unbroken woods 18%, paved roads 2%
Typical use: It will be loaded with 30 lbs on front rack, 50 lbs on rear rack & pulling a trailer with 200 lbs quite often. Lots of take off and braking. Extensive idling. Weather from 90+ degress F to -0 degrees F. Lots of low speed driving.
Not Typical use: occasional trail riding, etc.

I have already decided it must be a 4x4, auto trans and solid rear axle (no SP500). Also, I've figured that because of extensive idle time, a liquid cooled engine would be wise.

So where does this leave me? Kodiak? Rubicon? Foreman ES? AC 500 auto? Something else?

Please post your ever so humble opinion!

Thanks,
Bodini

Old 08-27-2000, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Rubicon really fits the description

Old 08-27-2000, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check out the 600 Grizzly Yamaha.My brother and brother-n-law both have one. They are solid rear axle, automatic, 4X4, they go great in mud and snow, they can haul a load, and they are very dependable. Some people think they are the ultimate 4X4. So you may want to add it to your list. It is a real workhorse.

Old 08-27-2000, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with those who say that a real workhorse ATV should not carry an automatic transmission. The auto-clutch design will outlast the belt drives for those who frequently pull heavier loads.

Also, don't under estimate the power of a 400cc engine. That is, unless you are looking for something that also works as heater on cold winter days.

Old 08-27-2000, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

2001 Artic Cat 4x4 500 manual

Old 08-27-2000, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

The Bombardier Traxter will soon have an auto that is gear driven and may be worth checking out. I have a Rubicon and am very happy with it. Plenty of power and torque and no complaints.

Old 08-27-2000, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote goes to the Polaris 4x4 500cc auto Magnum.Solid rear axle,can handle all the weight you mentioned,liquid cooled,has ALL 4 wheels pulling for it when AWD is activated,shaft driven,has a proven track record for reliabiity.On the other hand,the Ruby has no proven track record for reliability,its a new release.

SPRINGDRL,dont underestimate the towing power of belt driven 4x4 quads.9 Polaris belt driven quads won the pulling contest that CM earlier posted,there were a total of 11 quads in this event.In low range,belt driven quads will pull with the best and hold their own.====Bill

Old 08-27-2000, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

You should try the Polaris Magnum before spending 7k on a Rubicon.

Old 08-27-2000, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Bodini:
Thought I should speak up for the AC 500 Auto. I've only had ours since April or so and only have about 500 miles on them now, but most of that has been doing extensive work, such as logging and fence mending. I noticed you don't really plan on hauling that much on the racks, but the AC does have steel racks, with the highest rated rack capacities of anything on the market, at 100 lbs. front, and 200 lbs. rear. So, should you need to carry anything heavier, it would be no problem. The 'Cats have been great-go anywhere you want to go with ease, and a nice comfortable, smooth ride. Will sit and idle as long as you need them to, and your temp ranges shouldn't be a problem at all. The hottest I've ridden in is about 110 degrees so far, with the coldest temps being about 25 degrees. (Not very cold in April!)

As far as towing goes, most people will say to go with a manual trans, though I must say from what I have done with mine, don't underestimate the power of the Auto Trans on the big 'Cat. It's rated at towing 1050 lbs. I've hooked up to our '91 suburban out in the street, just to see if I could pull it, and drug it clear down the block. I fixed up a rear tow ball/towing tab with clevis hook assembly that I regularly tow logs with. I hook a choker cable to my rear clevis then wrap the cable around whatever logs I plan on moving, or fence posts, etc. As long as you keep it in four wheel drive, low range, it's no problem at all. You can tow lighter loads in high range if necessary, though I'd highly recommend using low range most of the time, especially if towing up hills and such in rough terrain.

When not working, I'm using my 'Cat exploring hunting trails, so I'm almost always in four wheel drive, low range at very slow speeds climbing hills and such. Never have had any problems or disagreements with the 'Cat at all. I did manage to break my airbox a while back when getting high centered on a stump, though that was my own fault. Easy, cheap fix though. The 'Cat is selectable 2wd/4wd for those times when you want to get back to the truck in a hurry, and don't need the 4wd, so that is another nice feature. Also, the 4.75 gallon fuel tank will get you there and back with some to spare.

Sorry about the length of the post, just really like my 'Cat. They're great machines that are often overlooked.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 08-27-2000, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Kodiak sounds like it might be a good choice.

Quick Reply: Need opinion on buying utility ATV