CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TCS Sag Control Shocks for DS..but oops, not with steelers!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.....I have the Works Steelers, which can NOT be revalved and upgraded By TCS for the DS, for about $500. ouch. The Works Steelers were a big improvement over the lousy overdamped stock DS Ryde/FX shocks. Sag control would lower the front of the DS, flattening it out in corners. This upgrade also includes rezzies with adjustable dampening.
....After a weekend following CR500 Hondas through the whoops at the Hot Wells Dunes in S.E. Arizona I am ready to make the next step toward ultimate suspension. I can live with the rear shock as is, it is set up real loose, and already has lots of sag.
......I expect this change to be as dramatic as the Works shocks were a dramatic improvement over the stockers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2001, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

......Just got off the phone with CT Racing,,The Works Steelers can NOT be upgraded to SCS TCS shocks, only the Works "Performance" shocks! SO if anyone would like a significant upgrade from the crappy stock RydeFX Arvin to Works Steelers for cheap. I'm thinking $250 for the pair including shipping, that is a savings of over $100. This would be for the DS-650 for a rider over 200 lbs that likes a cushy ride, I've never bottomed them out, but I don't jump either. This is with the triple rate springs.
This is a great deal on a huge improvement over the stockers, I'm just a picky SOB when it comes to suspension and willing to pay $850 for a pair of TCS shocks. I can't believe I just said that.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

dude didn't you see the pics of Ryans works shocks they dont last as long as the stockers, not that i mind you selling them here, thats great, just don't sell them to someone that does alot of jumping, sounds like they'll make some duner really happy.

Old 10-08-2001, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

The works steelers are definetly a "recreational" shock. NOT suitable for big air, for sure. I may keep them and just try upgrading them through Works, adding rezzies and adjustable compression dampening might do the trick, after all I am just a "recreational" rider myself. I rode a Raptor this last weekend with works performance shocks with rezzies and they were definetly smoother than my DS with the works Steelers. So I am going to take a wait and see attitude toward this. If somebody buys my steelers,, fine, if not I think I'll see if I can improve them with rezzies and adjustable compression dampening.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2001, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

as a rec. rider you might consider elkasuspension.com they should be able to make something to fit your needs since they have been working overtime trying to keep a set on Ryan's ds to last more than a half hour, the guy should be the test rider for all aftermarket suspension parts, he still hasn't bent the a-arms that we got from knutz for our quads.

Old 10-08-2001, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

TCS shocks are reworked Works shocks. Elka wants $980 for a set of DS shocks. Let's take a look at Ohlins eh? IF 3TV likes them... they are certainly worth a look. I only have $335 plus shipping in my Steelers,
and they are pretty good shocks, but I may be better off selling them and getting something else instead of trying to upgrade them. Geez, I dunno.
Ohlins have a website? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2001, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

According to a bunch of web sites, our choices may be limited. Ohlins does not list a shock for the DS and neither does Custom Axis. So Elka, TCS, and Works may be our only choices.....Elka and TCS have the sag control thing going, Works seems to be behind these two, even though they make the bodies and shafts for TCS. Elka has the big 5/8" rod and looks pretty cool (yellow springs too!) The Quad shop says prices for Elkas are going up November first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 10-08-2001, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hello, I have the Elka's with the piggy-back rezzy's. If you have or are going to get the Radiator Shrouds, do not get the piggy-back rezzy's, they will not fit without modding the shrouds.

I have the TCS's on my 400ex. The sag is much better with the TCS's then with the Elka's. The Elka's are built much better, but I heard that TCS is doing the 5/8 shaft now.

If I ran the DS on MX, I would go with the TCS's. If I am just in the dunes with the DS, I would run the Elka's. That is my opinion.

James

Old 10-09-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I have the old style of TCS and I love them. So far I have only used them on a MX track and the just ate up the small whoops about 1 foot too 1.5 feet high. Next week I plain to go out to the dunes and test them on the larger whoops out there.

Old 10-09-2001, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

someone wanna volenteer to talk to ohlins about making a set for the ds 3TV?

Quick Reply: TCS Sag Control Shocks for DS..but oops, not with steelers!