CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil coming out of breather resolved................................ I hope

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a big problem with oil blowing out of the breather.And NO its not blow-by from the rings or valve seals(did a leak down test,came out 98 to 99 percent)So I added another breather line from the motor plus a baffle tank(made from parts off a KZ100) to seperate the oil so it wouldn't blow out the breather.Well on the first try it blew oil everywhere............so I drained the oil out of the motor(not the tank)and out came 2 quarts I thought that was alot,but couldnt find the capacity just for the motor in the manual,called Ron wood he said only 1/2 a qt. should have been in there.OK problem! either the return oil pump was not working properly up or oil was seeping back into the motor from the oil tank when the motor was not running.Too much oil in the motor would explain the blow-by!
Well pulled the oil filter then pulled the the bleeder screw and cleaned everything thinking maybe oil was seeping past the bleeder.So lets try again.....put 2 quarts of oil back in and started it up,looked in the oil tank and could see oil pumping in from the return line(OK there) ran it for twenty minutes revving hard hmmmmmm no sign of oil coming out of the breather.
Shut the motor off, checked the oil level 1/2 inch above the high mark.
Then drained the oil from the motor,slightly over 1/2 a quart................so I think I had something stuck in the bleeder letting oil fill up the motor when it wasn't running.This would explain everything I hope..........but time will tell
Jeff

Old 10-10-2001, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey jeff, the dates are set for us going to glamis. saturday jan. 5th to jan 12 or 13 depending on when we want to leave. A couple of our friends will be coming with their rigs too. I hope you or any of those other people can make it. Sand mountain was awesome. The weather was perfect. Sean