CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

should i buy a DS 650 or a Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001 | 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortunatly Yamaha is notorius for leaving a design alone once its released. If there are changes they will be few and concentrated on reliability not ridability. Look at the banshee, warrior and blaster no significant changes since they were released over 10 years ago. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
If you're waiting for performance changes I suspect you'll be seriously disappointed. Of coarse you could have bought a DS and and had a great machine right out of the box, no need to wait for a pipe dream. hehehehe

Old 10-30-2001 | 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

hey JSsDS, ive driven the ds 650 and it suck ok, and for your information Yamaha have alot of big plans coming up for the raptor(700+ cc, twin). So you will be surprise somme day[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2001 | 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Brand loyalty is a good thing, thats just what Yamaha relies on when they make the decision not to make any changes. I'm not baggin on the raptor, its a good quad, I'm bagging on Yamaha for their lack of desire to spend money on sport quads once produced.

If the DS is so bad compared to the raptor then why are you in such a hurry to modify your raptor just to make it as good as the DS?

Brand loyalty is a good thing but, as you probably learned in school, (judging by your spelling and grammer you're probably in school now, say 7th grade?!.) history will repeat itself and you will be left with the same raptor 10 years from now.

Old 10-30-2001 | 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

umm H it's safe to say you got clowned,btw whats a new raptor transmission cost?

01 ds
"nuff said"

Old 10-30-2001 | 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would definately go with the DS over the Raptor. I have owned my DS since August of 2000 with not a single problem except for wearing out the chain roller. I really like the power of the bike and how easy it is to ride. I have owned alot of bikes and we have many in our family currently and I feel that the DS is the best engineered bike out there. The chain and sprockets are the strongest around, the axle is huge and comes with a rad-loc from the factory, the wheel hubs are huge and they even have o-rings to keep grime from getting into the splines. I've ridden my DS in the Dunes, snow, mud and about every type of trail you could imagine, and it has never let me down. I can't say that about the Raptors I've seen. Yamaha has had a lot of problems with the Trannies on the Raptors, clutches burning out prematurely and axles bending, not only that but the front shocks are bending just like the shocks on the front of the Banshees. Also the swingarm pivot bolt on the Raptor is prone to coming loose and ruining the swingarm or cracking the frame. Every I know that owns a Raptor and races has had to have the Tranny rebuilt, Haven't heard of any serious problems with the DS. But the DS is also better for the Bigger type of rider and not everyone can muscle it around as easily. Well just my opinion.-Chris Fredmonsky- A very happy DS6560 owner.