CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

how much does an aftermarket rev box for a 2000 DS cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 01:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What different types of rev boxs are thier for a 2000 DS and how much do they each cost. How hard are these boxes or CDIs to install. I really want to raise my rev limiter to above 8200 or so.

Old 12-08-2001, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Team Pami-
No limiter
$290
Free shipping

Very easy to install. 2 bolts hold the box to the frame, and one connector hooks it to the ignition system in place of the stock one.

Old 12-08-2001, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Knutz,

Are the boxes with limits ever going to be available again, or has it just been deemed unnecessary?

Old 12-08-2001, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

I would not say they are unnnecicary, but the inconsistent supply of them was very troublesome and expencive for us. Not to mention, it looked poorly for us when we could not tell customers when we would have them next. Unless something unexpected comes up, I'm not planning on having them again. I wish I could, but the supply and demand never got together to make it work. The last time I had a few of them, they took a while to sell, because I had been telling everyone that I didn't have them earlyer. Then I was sold out with no projected date of delivery of more when the orders for them started rolling in. I wish I had better news on that.

Old 12-08-2001, 06:31 PM
Range Rover

Does the Team Pami box change my timing. If so will I see any horsepower gain at all from the box. Also does the DS make its 52 horse power at 7700 and will it make more power if the motor is alowed to turn a little higher? And Black Hawk how do you like your white Brothers exhaust ? Did you notice a difference and how much louder if any is it than the stock Muffler.

Old 12-08-2001, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

I can tell you what to expect from the ignition box in the real world, but if you believe the the claim of 52 HP from a stock DS, then you might also believe other manufacturers claims of HP and my true statments may seem weak.

In the real world, every stock DS that I've put on a dyno has shown between 39-41 HP. This peak has been between 7000-7200 RPM, and the power has not dropped off significantly when the rev limiter hits. Being able to rev past this limiter will not give you a higher peak HP #, but it will alow you to be in a stronger part of the power band after you shift. The power drop off after peak is not as steap as the climb of power befor peak, so reving past the current limiter shows an advantage in that way if nothing else.

The ingnition curve is changed, but I have not tested to see what the gain is with the box by it's self. I can say that the box, when combined with an air filter on the carb and a good exhaust[Big Gun race series showed the best results in my testing], will show an increase of 7.5-8 HP. The re-curve will help to take advantage of all future mods as well. I know that I experimented with a stock box on my personal bike and lost 6.5 HP with it. I'm not saying that the box will give a stock bike 6.5 HP, but it will help time the ignition to take advantage of any modifications that are done to a bike.

Old 12-09-2001, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

You said 39-41 hp on a dyno. I am assuming that is real wheel horse power. Arent those bikes horse power rating at the crank? I know that on a car you lose about 15 or so percent of horse power through the drive train. Do you know about how much a DS would lose through its drive train?

Old 12-09-2001, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

I was a little apprehensive about a rev box with no limiter, but I have Knutz's Team Pami CDI now and love it. I don't know that I notice much other than not hitting that damn rev limiter, which to me was a big annoyance. My rig is stock, with a modified end cap and a K&N with a stock air box. I thought without the limiter it would want to rev out of sight, and maybe with cams and a carb and a lighter crank and such it would, but the stock engine just runs and breathes a little easier this way. No worries. Just more usable power, bottom to top. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]