CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Losing Power Up Top, HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is when i hit 3rd gear it seems like i lose all power and it stops pulling. me and hurycne run side by side till we hit third then every body shoots past, i compare with him because we have the same mods, there is little differnce(i have big gun, he has graydon, Ihave K&n on factory tube with airbox removed, he has carb mount) the differences shouldnt make that big of a change!! I had my local shop jet mine, later i decided to pull my bowl and seen they had put a 210main in it. i dont know much about elevation in north texas but i believe that was too much.(plugs were a little rich up top also)I see most others running 185 with my same mods, Im really confused on what to do.I pulled my main and ran a 175 and yesterday, seemed a little lean according to the plugs, i checked them up top all this time. what is some scenarios on my problem, somebody please help me, I guess im kind of mechanically illiterate. Could my clutch discs be slipping up top ?????

Old 12-16-2001, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

RoostinOnYou, I checked my plugs today and they are showing a dark to chocolate tan color on the insulator. I am running a 175 main, woods cdi,k&n on stock airbox with the lid removed and a modified end cap on the stock exhaust. Man a 210 main sure sounds to rich! But what do I know....I just changed my main jet in my carb and didn't change the needle or needle clip position at all.

Old 12-16-2001, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

roostingonyou.....your jetting is way to rich!!! Try a 185 or 190 main jet.About your clutch after you raced for awhile let your bike totaly cool down.The go and race again and see if that makes a diff on your speed. If it dose them you clutch or springs are weak.

Old 12-16-2001, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] my real ? is, is that main jet difference going to make me get blown away that bad. my thought is that there is something else im overlooking. there has got to be some thing else wrong also!! thank you, ill take all the help i can get!

Old 12-16-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

roostingonyou.....Sorry man!! Thats the only things i could think about trying. I hope you get it fixed!!!

Old 12-17-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

have you checked your valves lately?

Old 12-17-2001, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

You listed the problem when you compaired your mods to his. The air box is not a restiction, eliminating it did nothing for you. I tested a stock filter and a K&N in the air box, with and without the lid. All 4 set ups were within 1 HP of each other. Then I tried the filter on the carb, and gained 3 HP. On investigating, I noticed that the tube colapses on itself as the vacume become greater. Without the air box to suport the other end, the effect may be worse. When you take into the account that the tube is too small in the first place, it's a big choke point. Get a filter for the carb, and you'll notice a nice difference.

Old 12-17-2001, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Hey knutz email me the hp numbers you haveI want to compare some different things

Old 12-17-2001, 04:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Knutz,

Since you note such a difference when running the airbox vs. not and the problem seems to be the tube between the airbox and carb. more so than the airbox itself, has anyone thought of producing a tube replacement, for those riders not wanting to ditch the airbox, or those who can't due to water riding conditions?

Old 12-17-2001, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

roostin, you asked if your clutch could be slipping, well is your motor winding out when everyone is going on by you? if so better get some pami springs.

Quick Reply: Losing Power Up Top, HELP!!!!!!!