CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS stock airbox tube to carb replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard of, or is anyone going to make a stronger tube to replace the collapsable tube that we currently have between the stock airbox and carb? I would love to get the direct k&n carb mount filter setup, but I do cross water quite a bit. I would like to keep my stock airbox setup. Is anyone else interested in this mod? We all don't ride in sand sand dunes all the time.

Old 01-01-2002, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider

Somebody is working on one. Early test showed only 1/2 HP difference from the direct mounted air filter. Not sure when it will be ready he is still testing but I hope soon my tub is all most flat.

Old 01-01-2002, 05:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am very interested in this sort of product. I've already got a couple of K&N filters for the stock airbox, so re-investing in new filters doesn't sound tempting, and I just like the idea of having an airbox. If the early versions are only 1/2 HP shy of the direct mount, that sounds like a great product. As long as the production units are that good or better, I'm all over it. Oh yeah, and it has to be REASONABLY priced. (I'm not looking to pay hundreds of dollars for only a couple of ponies.)

Old 01-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

Yes the fix is to stretch the calapsable tube over a piece of PVC pipe from the hardware store.

Old 01-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

DS650Stage1, would'nt stretching the calapsable tube over a piece of PVC pipe in fact make the inside diameter of the tube slightly smaller also causing some air restriction? I know most PVC that size is a 1/4 inch thick then closing the diameter for a total of 1/2 inch.... correct?

Old 01-01-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

CALDS650, Yeah that sounds great! Let us know when you find out more info. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

Proemtpff, STRETCH it to make it bigger, and it will not CALAPSE making it even smaller than it is now.

Old 01-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I do understand the concept BUT that tube does not stretch a 1/2-1/4 inch to make up for the difference the inside diameter will have with the PVC in it. I do understand that that will stop the collapse that in turn causes the tube to be smaller BUT there HAS to be a better way. I'm not cracking on you idea BUT like I said above the tube will not stretch the 1/2 inch to make up for the inside diameter of the PVC.

Old 01-01-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Ok guys I have a quick fix that may help some of you out. You need to use hose clamps. Yes hose clamps, The big one like the one around your filter. When you put these one tightly but not over tight it reinforces the ruber tube a bit making it where it can not collapse. I have tried this myself and found it to hold up well. A big improvement over the collapsing one but not as flowing as the carb mount. I suggest one after the second rib may another one down the tube to help hold it up. I cheap fix but I thinkit will help some of us out when we are not in the dunes!

Old 01-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I totally agree! What ever happened to improvising? I'm not going to give somebody 50 bucks so they can give me something they made. Its not that hard of a fix, All it needs is a little support. The big 'tip' here came from Knutz, letting us know that their was a problem with the tube,but he's probably shaking his head at all of us, giggling because of this panicing going on. So Knutz, If you read this please tell everyone a simple quick fix, I think it should come from you, sense it was you that brought it to our attention. THANX!!

Quick Reply: DS stock airbox tube to carb replacement?