CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds-650 fan cooler problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some pretty slow going out here on the trails in New Mexico. My double fan set-up is working beautifully. One pusher in front of the radiator, and a stocker behind. The pusher is also a SPAL, from Off-road warehouse, one size larger than stock, and sits much lower, blowing through the bottom of the radiator, while the stock fan sucks through the top.
......Though vibration is given credit for trashing all these fans, I can't help but think that its proximity to the very hot header pipes must have something to do with it. I felt the double fan set up would not only be insurance out on the trail, but the increased air flow would keep the first fan working longer. It took my lame-0 dealer 2 months to get me a replacement, I had already got one from OffRoadWarehouse. So I have a spare as well. I don't expect to have any more fan problems....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2002, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

can you be so kind and send few pictures of the front fan that you instaled.
i realy would like to anderstand better how did you have munted it to the frame.
in addition i can give you a very nice tip:
1.take out the original thermostat form its husing.
this will alow much better water flow in side the radiator.
even when the thermostat is hot and open it still have some resistence to the water flow with out it you will get better circolation and lower the water temp.
2.buy a water temp meter this way you will have for control of the true temp of your ds.
you can buy it a a very low cost from some car parts store.
try to buy some japanse brand they will last longer.
the unit can be instaled replacing the high temp unit that come originlay with the ds.
3.instal also shuords on your radiator you will be amazed how it keep the water at lower temp.
have fun.
haim.

Old 02-06-2002, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

fourlix, would it be possible to e-mail me some close up pics of the pusher fan install? Also could you post the part numbers from offroad wharehouse for both fans?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey i had a fan go bad on me i baught one from a newer ds from ebay and i installed it on the front of the radatior. i also cut the wires and reversed them so the fan spins the other way still blowing tward the rear on the quad and have not had a problem with it sence, also u can take the heat shield off the fan. i think the heat from exaust shortens the life of them.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

mine stopped working one time and it ended up being my thermostat being bad wich is why it wouldn't turn on.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the first few years of ds production the fans were bolted solid to the frame, rather than mounted in grommets like later models.

This causes two problems -
first if the fan is not perfectly shimmed at all 4 corners to prevent distortion of fan body when bolts are tightened then the disortion of the body makes it much more difficult for the motor to rotate and they fail. This is a potential scenario for people who have suffered repeated failures - improper install.
second the vibration of rough riding with no grommet mounts causes the wires leading to the motor brushes around the armeture to detach inside, which means failure.

Old model DS's with this rigid fan mount can easily be made more reliable upon replacement - do not bolt it. 1/4" rubber fuel hose fits perfectly between the fan body and the curved frame on each side, just snug enough to hold it in there. Stick the fan in place using this rubber "isolating" tubing, then use zip ties to hold it on and in place.

I've replaced the fan on my DS twice in 10 years, the second time I developed and used this method of install, that was 4 years and several hundred hours ago.