CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

WOW!! New Rally should spank Recon! Very impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like both companies Bombardier and Honda, but what I like even better is competition between the companies, and once again, Bombardier has introduced a quad into a category and it is now the benchmark.

My friends have Recons, and I really enjoy riding them. They are very peppy for a 220cc utility quad. They are fun to stage races on, and are very inexpensive machines. But I just read the article on the Rally and for $500 less you get a machine that is superior to the Recon. I'm not trying to bash the Honda, but this quad will/should dominate in the small utility class.

Now what I would like to see is Bombardier turn this into a sport quad like the 250EX and spank it too. Not to belittle Honda, but just for the pride of making the best machines. Then, of course, I would like to see Honda with improvements, and so on and so on.

Here are some categories to compare the two:
Rally Recon
Price: $3000 $3500
Weight: 388 406
Accel: 1st 2nd
Drag: 1st 2nd
Clearance: 6.3" 6"
Fuel Cap: 4.4gal 3gal
Susp F: 5.4" 5.1"
Susp R: 6.4" 4.9"
Bomb is liquid cooled.
Bomb has lower center of gravity.
Bomb has less rear unsprung weight.
Honda has less maintainance on rear swingarm.
Honda probably has better tire setup.
Bomb has higher performance rear brakes (disc).

What are anybody elses thoughts? My opinion of the other manufacurers quads, the Ozark250, Bayou220, and Bear Tracker230, are all the equivelent or less of the Recon.

Old 02-28-2002, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a nice comparison you did. I'm sure before to long Dirt Wheels will have a shootout, but you know how that goes, HONDA will win before the shootout even starts, they will find Rally's week points so it will lose. I will wait to hear from the people on these forums to get one to get the real tests results. When is the rally going to be out ?

Old 02-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dirtwheels gave the Rally two big thumbs up - said in their article (April issue) that it will easily take the Recon.
The only bad mention was of the single a-arms up front - as you would suspect they push in the turns a bit more than desired.
Can you believe it - Bomb finally made something lighter than the competition!

Old 03-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be an interesting year for shootouts, that's for sure. The Ozark specs our to beat the Recon - bigger engine, more ground clearance + suspension, slightly lighter weight, more fuel cap, disc brakes on front. It may give the Rally more competition although it too carries a 3,500 price tag.

I'm sure any shootouts will harp on the Rally's single A-arms. Why did they do that? Only time will tell but I don't see good things for all that Rally plastic after a few years exposure to sun and cold. Between the footpegs and the 'racks' it looks like all there is is plastic. I don't see how that will hold up to real world use over time.

Other than that, just my opinion but the Rally has got to be the most butt ugly quad I've ever seen. Maybe it grows on you.

Jaybee

Old 03-04-2002, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think the single A-arms are the biggest drawback. That really is going to kill it in any of the shoot-outs. I think hte plastic racks should be good if they're as strong as they say.
I also really like the frame design.

Not to thrilled about the looks though. I think it's kind of butt ugly.

Old 03-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

The racks are much stronger than you might think. I walked all over them, and felt no give[I'm 230-240lbs.].

I was not impressed with the single a-arms when I saw them. Having riden quads with this set up in the past, I expected a less than impressive ride. I was happily impressed. It covered rocky sections of the trail just as nicely as the twin a-arm quads. When pushed to it's limit, it may push somewhat, but at the moderatly aggresive pace that I rode it at, it seemed more than capable. That system was used to save weight and expence, and I think it does it's job well. The ride is good, the price is cheap, and the weight is down.

The plastic does take some getting used to, but it's not all that ugly in my opinion.

The plastic floor boards are reinforced by the frame mounted "nerf bar" type steel hoops. The racks are supported by steel arms that extend from the frame as well. With this re-inforcment, I don't think the area between the floorboard and the racks will suffer dammage in anything less than a huge blunder.

Old 03-05-2002, 11:21 AM
BK
Pro Rider

I have thought for a long time that someone needs to make an entry level machine this size. It looks like the perfect machine for my wife. I have a question for you Bombardier guys. Are the Bombs dependable machines? I realise this is going to be a new machine but I know nothing about the company's reputation. I am seriously thinking of getting one of these when they are released.