CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Those of you with trailers.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 18' trailer so we can haul 4 bikes. We all have paddle tires (or in the process of buying them) and tools that go. Would you have any suggestions as to how to make/buy a rack for tires and possibly a box of some sort to store our helmets and tools? What so you guys have that go on overnight riding trips? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Is it a open trailer?
If it's enclosed here are few online storeshttp://www.trailercabinets.com/
http://www.modulinecabinets.com/

Old 03-05-2002, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Kind of sounds like you got a flat bed trailer which can be a problem depending on what your doing. I'm a long distance duner my self, about 12 hours driving to get to the good stuff, I used to haul our quads on a car hauler and it was a problem, we ended up putting all that stuff in the RV (19') which made it crowded, now I'm going to bite the bullet and get a enclosed, 8 1/2' by 22', sometimes we pull off at rest stops and sleep, also at the campground, thieves want to steel it and eco ****'s want to slash tires or cut the wireing harness, I'm going to have to much money in this quad after I get it back together to leave it on a open trailer but that dosen't slove your problem, maybe a gang box, thats a large tool box, about 36"tX30"dX48"l made from heaver steel, they sell them at Home Depot. You could mount it in the trailer bed someplace, try loading the quads and see how much space you have. Heavy chain and locks for security, lock the trailer to the tow vehicle too. You could build a tire rack on the front part of the trailer like a lot of racers do, we used to just put them in the spaces left after loading, use rachet straps or tie down straps or even rope to secure them

Old 03-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff, nice cabs, is that what your putting in your trailer? I'm scrounging the job site but of course when you can use them they are never around LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I usually just strap all the quads down and then load all the other stuff around them and under them. I also use the back of the truck. I worry alot, about my stuff being stolen or messed with, but not yet. Maybe I should invest in a junk yard dog to protect the investment.

Anyway, you could build or have built a box on the front of the trailer and a tire rack to hold all the gear and stuff. I want an enclosed trailer and will have on someday, but not today.

I also lock everything up anytime I am not watching it and of course at night.

Hope that helps
Bat

Old 03-05-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

DSJockey,
I have been drooling over some those cabinets....$Big bucks$ though.
I will wait awhile to really figure out what I need.
I will start with key hooks since I have aready lost a set of RV keys.
Jeff

Old 03-06-2002, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

<< I will start with key hooks since I have aready lost a set of RV keys. >>

oh I hate it when that happens [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] your right those are some sweet cabs but they'll never be in my trailer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2002, 04:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

For a lighter, cheaper option try an aluminum box. www.dawsbetterbuilt.com look for the CRTC60W, this is the box I used on my trailer. I picked it up at Wal-Mart for $199.99.

Old 03-06-2002, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 03-06-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

The utility boxes designed to mount in the bed of a pick-up, work well when mounted on the tongue of the trailer. Enough room for a couple of helmets and some fuel cans.

A tire rack that uses a steel rod through the center and a padlock, would be rather easy to fabricate if you have access to a welder. It makes them easy to get to, out of the way, and rather secure. These racks are rather common among low budget stock car race teams, that can't afford enclosed trailers. I don't know that anyone makes something like this for sale, but it should be easy, and cheap to build.