CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Trail Riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend and I went on a trail ride last night. The DS is damn sure not too big for it. We went through quite a few tight spots. The thing is, you have to know your quad, just like any other. The only complaint that I would have, is that we installed a DG swingarm skid plate which actually knocked the clearance down to around 4" @ the swingarm. I'm still running the stock 20" Kenda Dominators, so once I go up to the 22" (Bandits or Holeshot XCTs???) that should be greatly improved. The DS has higher clearance under the swingarm that most other factory quads, so I can't imagine trying to install one on one of the other quads with 20" tires and taking it down that trail. Some of the rocky terrain & water crossing that we did would be better suited for a utility quad but other than the low clearance under the swingarm, the DS ate it up. I love this quad more every day! The DG alloy skid plate took quite a few hard direct hits on buried boulders and it seems to have no structural damage. I'm impressed with it.

Best of all, I didn't kill a single tree!!!!!

Old 03-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

i would have to say the same thing im from long island ny . thats about all we do is trail riding and i never have a problem .just like u said u just need to know your ds .then u should have no problems . i just put 22 realtors on my bike and they are sick .great traction and the extra 2in is great for the ground clearance .

Old 03-14-2002, 05:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm down with all that, I love to trailride mine too. I do have to admit though, there have been trees on groomed trails that I couldn't fit between, and had to detour around. That's just because the trail cutters at the places I ride tailor them for all the other "miniature" bikes of the world, not expecting a machine 4 to 6 inches wider than the average to come blazing down them.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

I could use some help on this subject guys. I'm only 5'10" about 150#. I feel confident w/ the Bombardier product as I own a Sea Doo RX, but am concerned about the DS's weight and how well I'll be able to control it on the trails. Most of my riding is on Jeep/mining trails but a fair amount is on tighter somewhat single track. I'll really want a DS but I am considering a Cannondale because of the weight issue. This is the only thing that is holding me back from a purchase. (that and the fact my local dealer doesn't keep any in stock)
Any neutral comments or suggestions?

Old 03-14-2002, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

Marky,
I fully understand where you're coming from. I currently have a 400EX but its basically the girlfriends ride once I make my decision. I also find it hard to justify spending the $$$ for the Cannondale. I just dont want to get a DS if it will be too heavy for me. I'm somewhat of an accomplished dirtbike rider and not so bad on a quad but I do feel more at home on two weels.
I guess I should feel lucky that its a decision like this and not something like- Will I pay my morgage or buy food?!?!?

Old 03-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 400EX first, sold it, and got the DS. For the type of trails we have here I much prefer the Bomb. It's so much faster, more comfortable, and it'll climb hills the would turn an EX into a 400lb pin wheel. It'll also go a lot farther on a tank of gas. For MX the Honda handled much better, but didn't have enough guts to clear big jumps where the turns & jumps were spaced closely together.

I also love the whole C-dale line. I hope they are able to make a go of it long term.

Old 03-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

I love all my quads!!!!

Old 03-15-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

I also owned a 400 ex before the DS and feel the DS is an all around better quad. I ride mostly desert and trails with great success, we ride the Paiute atv trails in Utah and finish every ride the 4x4 quads do. I was invited to press day by Cannondale and rode all of the models for hours, make no mistake they are FAST and on a motocross track maybe the best choice but if you plan on riding different types of terrain the DS is a better choice in my opinion. As far as the weight goes you will only notice it when you have to lift it, but once you are moving it feels normal. The DS has a very strong track record for reliability where as the Cannondale has yet to be proven.
Bearman

Old 03-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

You know, I'm not putting down Cannondales by any means, but even if the Dales had been around and had proven to be just as reliable as the DS, I would still keep my DS. Once I got use to the size, speed, stability, suspension and overall performance of the DS, I knew that it was the perfect quad. Cannondales may be every bit as reliable as the DS. I don't know? I haven't even ridden one. I can't sit here and talk about what I haven't tried out. But I can say that the DS is so different from any other quad out there, that it would take a little getting used to by anyone. But once they get the feel for it, I think that they could apply it to any riding situation and run with anything out there. Here on these forums we've heard people that have used them for every type of sporting use and they all love the DS. It's not like they couldn't easily sell the DS and buy another quad. But those who own them, seem to be fans of them. I've never had anyone who has ridden mine say that they didn't really like it. As a matter of fact, most who have ridden it, even hardcore Banshee fans, said that they would love to own one.

Old 03-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how anyone can say a DS is too big for trail riding, when I bet the majority of quads on the trails around the nation is the Polaris Sportsman 500...
I mean, if you can wrestle that thing thru the woods.... then no other quad should be a problem
I ride woods trails mostly, some fields, the beach, and an occasional MX track
I have never ridden a DS, but if I had the money I'd love to own a piped BAJA!!!
I love the thought of how comfortable it is , how awsome the suspension is, and how much power it has... but I'm probably stuck with my 2000 400EX I bought last year for $3,800 used and barely ridden.... don't get me wrong, I love it for the price.... but like I said, if I had my choice of ANYTHING... it would be a new BAJA

Quick Reply: DS650 Trail Riding