CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

GBC Sand Devils?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do they compare with other paddles? I liked the ones I had on my 250X, so I got another pair when I got my DS. Now I'm thinking the big 650 may be too much for the Sand Devil's to handle, because I find myself digging holes and getting stuck more often than I'd like. I haven't owned any other paddles, so I have nothing to compare them with. Should I get a different tire? I've heard alot of good things about Skat-Trak tires, but have also heard that they are not very durable. Considering their price, and questionable durability, is their performance THAT MUCH better? I'm not racing, so I'm willing to give up some performance for durability if I have to. Also, which combination works better on a DS. A larger tire with fewer paddles (ex:22x10x10 8-paddle) or a smaller tire with more paddles (ex:20x10x10 10-paddle) I'd assume a larger tire would float atop the sand better, but I'm not sure. What can you guys suggest.

PS Thanks for helping out "the new guy"

Old 03-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had a similar problem when I tried some 'cheap' Kenda Trakkers. Big mistake. Now I'm running STU (Sand Tires Unlimited) Sand Skat I with a competition groove cut. If you want a tire that will scoot you around without digging holes and still be durable, go for the STU Sand Skate 1 with a 'play' groove instead of competition. I got mine from Fullerton Sand Sports, and I can't say enough nice things about Joe, the guy who owns the shop. A note on the tires and cutting, basically when the tires come from the factory, they have both left and right handed paddles on them. So the extra paddles must be cut off in order to make a left or a right handed paddle. They size of these tires is 12x21x10, I never neasured to see exactly how wide they are, but they are a TRUE 21" tall.

Old 03-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

Lightweight,
Are you happy with your HMF pipe? There are only a few of us using one.
Blackhawk, How much were custom tires?

Old 03-21-2002, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Lightweight.. I had/have a set of Sand Devils (20-11-10 9 paddle), I keep them for spare's. I ran them for four trips to the dunes, they don't have enough bite, their heavy and after the four trips all of the paddles were tearing off on the edges. I ran Sand Sharks 20-11-10 and the paddles were tearing off too. Now I have a set of Skat-Track Extreem haulers 22-11-10 10 paddle. They have been on two trips, so far so good. They float very well, have plenty of bite and seem to stay on top of the sand. I run 5 psi so I don't get to much traction. A friend of mine has been running 20-10-10 9 paddle haulers for the last 3-4 years, they are starting to come apart. He ran them on a sheee for two years and now they are on his DS. Four years of trouble free is pretty good though.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2002, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

Those Skat-Traks spending 3-4 years behind a Banshee and a DS without any problems is a durable enough record for me. Since you have to run your 22 10-paddles at a lower pressure, to avoid getting too much traction, would you suggest a 22 8-paddle be a better choice for me? Since I'm not planning on upgrading much past a pipe, filter, and jets. And the fact that I only weigh about 140lbs ( Lightweight ), my needs in a tire probably differs alot from heaver riders with much more powerful machines.
As for my HMF pipe, I couldn't be happier with it. It fit without any problems, and totally smoothes out the powerband. I no longer have to ride the DS like a 2-stroke! I'm now able to trailride in 2nd or 3rd gear without touching anything but the throttle. The low end torque now allows me to casually cruise in and out of turns and up and down hills without always HAVING to hammer on it. When I do decide to open it up, the extra power is all the more welcome.

Old 03-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Actually 5psi is hi pressure (max) the lower the pressure the better the traction. From how you describe your DS I would run 22 or 20-10-10 8 paddle extreem's, , they will take you anywhere at 140lbs. If your not worried about shooting the hills, the the extreem edge would be better than the extreem haulers.

The rider is the key to a lasting tire. Try to avoid spinning them on hard pack, keep your speed down on dirt and watch for tire killers (ie. rocks, glass and parts from other quads). Sand will not normally hurt your tires.

Later!

Old 03-22-2002, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

Well, it looks like I'll start saving up for some 22-10-10 8-paddle Extreem Skat-Traks. I'll probably get the edge style. Thanks for all of the information. It's really helpful to be able to ask questions of people who've actually owned the different products, instead of having to rely on information given by people who are simply trying sell products to you.

Old 03-22-2002, 03:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Andrew,

I paid $440, and here is what I got.

2 Sand Tires Unlimited, Sand Skate 1 Competition Grooved. 12x21x10
2 Custom 10x10 Douglas blue label rims
and 2 shots of tire sealant
The tire/rim combo weighs almost nothing, literally. You could lift one tire with a weak pinky.

The play grooved tires are a lot cheaper, and have more durability, but that is at the expensive of performance.

They also make straight paddles, staggered paddles etc, this is where Mike330R picked up his tires as well.

Be careful when you call, Joe is REALLY nice, and he'll talk your ear off about tires.

Old 03-22-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Skat-Trak was refusing to fix my extrems becuse i ran them under 5psi.They told me that 5psi in the minimum to run on thre extremes.

Old 03-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I'll check when I get home, but I thought the sidewall said 5psi max operating and 15 psi max to seat the bead.

Last week in Mexico I tried 3 psi and got way to mutch traction. 7 psi was just letting the tire spin to fast and 5psi was just right.

Sorry if I mis led anyone. Any time I have a tire problem though, I always run the pressure on the sidewall.

Quick Reply: GBC Sand Devils?