CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Do away with using key on ds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 05:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there. I just read the post "Stolen from Colorado Springs." It said that ds didn't have a key. If I take the key off of my ds will the electric start work and if so , How do I do this?? I'm clumsy and would like to do away with one more key on my key chain. Also I feel the wife's pain. Lucky for me I found my quad and the guys that stole my quad got busted also. Turns out the people that stole my quad only stole Raptors and Ds's. I guess at least they had good taste. But anyhow help me out anyway you can and tell me how to do it if it is possible.

Old 03-21-2002, 06:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The key is simply a switch that turns off power to all controls, only two wires on it. If the keyswitch is removed, a regular toggle switch or something will need to be put in its place.

If you just twist the wires together instead of installing a switch to make and brake them, then the oil pressure warning light will always be on, and the neutral light if the bike is in neutral. Also, if you forget to turn off the lights then they will remain on too. A switch needs to be there.

Have you thought about just leaving the key in the bike, instead of having it on a keychain? Doesn't the jingling bother you while riding?

The keyswitches on bikes are all but useless, and only really function to keep your kids and guests from riding. Any thief can just pull the wires off the back of the switch and twist them together, then away they go. Insurance is a must, especially if you take your bike places, like camping at the dunes.

Old 03-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I keep my DS key on it's own keychain. I added a bright yellow float made for boat/jetski keys hoping that if I lost it in the sand it might stay "afloat" and be easier to spot. As an added bonus it's easier to find in the house as well. When I ride I lock my keys in the truck and I have a spare truck key on my DS keyring.
The only downside I found was my two year old son is magneticly drawn to this keychain-and tv remotes.

Old 03-21-2002, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Basically, the key switch is a light switch. This makes it very easy for someone to steal a quad. Someone could easily put in a dummy key & switch and have a toggle switch off to the side.

You might as well leave the key in the quad because the lack of a key will not keep someone from taking your quad. I usually leave the keys in the quads but, mine are parked in the garage.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hi, I know it has nothin to do with a bombardier, but I know on 300ex's you just pop the stupid plastic thing off the handlebars, and there is 2 wires right there with plug ins, and you just pop them apart, cross them or whatever, and boom you got a "key" do it to my buddies 300ex all the time. Way to go honda on making the easiest stealable(make sence?) four wheeler there is!

Old 03-22-2002, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer

Ok so you're saying the electric start will work if I do away with the key and just cross the wires. Sorry for sounding stupid but I've done this with my cousins banshee and it worked but it isn't electric start. I'm doing this because I hate messing with keys. Is there a way to make my ds kick start????

Old 03-22-2002, 01:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dude, yes the electric start will work if you remove the key switch and just cross the wires, but like I said earlier, if you do this then your battery will constantly be getting drained while your bike is parked in the garage and your in bed sleeping at night.
If you remove the keyswitch, then put a toggle switch from Radio Shack in its place, and don't forget to turn it off when your done riding, or you'll be push starting your bike because there is no kickstarter avaialable.

Old 03-22-2002, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

wutang36odb, there is a way to kickstart the DS, get a good run at it and some really good painkillers.