CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

U.S. Dept. of the Interior VS DS DAYS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< Oh, one more thing, why are they trying to make an example out of Don?

For trying to legally put on an event?

I dont see anything he did wrong, but I am not involved on an organizational level.

What if a bunch of DS riders show up, and have a great time and Don is not there? Are they going to make an example out of him for telling people about a riding place?

Maybe I am just confused, but it seems like he was trying to do the right thing and it is coming back to bite him in the @$$.

Don, I hope they dont try some stupid legal manuvering on you, I dont think you did anything wrong.

Bat
>>

As long as it is NOT an official event with entry fees, prizes, etc. there will be no problem.

The website needs to be taken down or re-worded.

Jon

Old 05-01-2002, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Guys this is just my opinion, If Don wants to pursue DS days unofficially then unofficially I am there as well. I just want to remind everyone the kind of people we are dealing with in the BLM, most are extreme greenies and will take any opportunity to make us look bad.
Bearman

Old 05-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

If it were up to me[and it isn't] or if I controlled it[I don't], I would have the web site back up for DS Days. I would eliminate the business sponsors[Knutz Concepts has already withdrawn], and this would just be a get together of folks that ride the same sort of bike. When pressed, Mr. Pope stated that his problem was with commercial competative events, not the fact that we were all going to be there. That would lead me to believe that BBQ's, trail rides, and quad shows are all fine, as long as there are no commercial prizes. If we happen to show up and drag race at the same place and time, along with every other visitor to Sand Mountain, what are they to do? I'm not sponsoring any event, I'm just trying to get a group of riders that I've been talking with for over a year now to get together so we can all meet. They can't exactly do anything to a rider based on the type of quad he/she rides. I'm sure there will be folks there that ride DS's that don't even know about this non-event. As far as being nice to BLM so we can make it happen next year, I'm not at all worried about that. It's scheduled for Labor Day weekend, and clearly they will not let us there on a 3 day weekend next year either. So for 2003, it either changes location, or it continues as an &quot;unofficial event&quot;.

Old 05-02-2002, 03:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As far as the site goes we'll put it back up after we get back from our extended weekend in Laughlin, NV. So look for some 'basic' info about our friendly get together after that.

How soon should we start trying to get permits or doing whatever we need to for DS Days 2003? (DS Days #1!) Have we agreed on Sand Mountain UT for the location? We can start the web site for that one early, and that would allow people to know we plan to have an official, legal, permitted event called DS Days #1 in 2003. We can list our same basic schedule of events etc. and list things like location or similar sensitive information as &quot;TBA,&quot; then we'll announce those details as they become legit or finalized. We'll have just a 'rider get together' (aka: a group of friends who share a common interest going out to have fun in a small group) in 2002. (I figure if we make sure not to call our get together this year by the same name than people won't be as confused. (We especially don't want to confuse anyone from the BLM who might go take a look at the site so I'm aiming for something dead obvious to show the difference!)

I may or may not have time to check the forums over the weekend, but if I don't I hope everybody chimes in and have a good weekend!

As far as the site for the event goes, what goes up there is 100% based upon what the people who are making the event happen want, meaning the people in the forums. So when the 'group' decides what they want to see, that's what I'll try and make happen.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

See Crankenstein run 86mph up Sand Mountain, UT.

Crankenstein Video

Old 05-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Air
Pro Rider

Here is my 2 cents worth, I am president of the Utah ATV Association and I have to deal with the permit process all the time. Play nice with the BLM and they will help you set things up. The local BLM Office actually sponcers our Annual MDA Ride For Life(110 mile each way trip from Lake Point Ut to Wendover Nevada) We also help with service projects. Last month the BLM let us put on a Poker Run for our Vice-Presidents 6-year old son who is battling a terminal brain tumor. This was done on short notice and had many prizes given away. We accomplished this by participating in their Earth day cleanup. Maybe as a group of concerned DS riders the BLM could use a little help out at Sand Mtn NV that weekend. Just a thought. I will be at Sand Mtn Ut that weekend.

Old 05-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

The group of DS riders had already scheduled to help the Friends Of Sand Mountain with their clean up effort. We intentionally worked with Crowlyoffroad so that we could do that. That didn't seem to matter to the U.S. Dept. of the Interior[BLM's name when they want to sound more important]. I've recieved another letter from them since this posting started, haven't bothered to read it, it wasn't certified this time[lol]. They would rather work harder at stopping me, that they would have had to if they had worked with us.