CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS put the hurt on some Raptors and A Cocky 400EX rider.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 08:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock for stock, you won't find one that will pull away from your DS. 4th and 5th gears? Can't stay with you? Please. I ride with a 2001 DS650 with very similar mods as yours everytime I go riding. We play, we race, we drag. I haven't seen 2 more equal bikes in all my 40 years. He wins some, I win some. When our bikes are tuned properly the whipping put on by either of us is no more than 1 bike length. Its all about the rider, the tuneing, the gearing. Your day will come when a completly stock Raptor beats you up that hill, trust me. Will it be an azz whipping, most likely not. I'll trust that your a very capable rider.

These two statements contradict themselves.

<< Needless to say I beat them all the Majority of the races. >>

<< And for that matter havent even seen a Raptor that can stay with me in my 4th and 5th gears. >>

I love the Bombardier. Think its a great machine. Its got a lot of power, it handles great and is a lot of fun to ride. I can also say the same thing for the Raptor. 1 miscue in the way you mod and the other guy will win that day.

Old 05-08-2002, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Very, very well said Bro. Also extremly true. We trade off being the victor all the time. The Raptor is a great quad. If either quad wasn't as good as they are, no one would even bring up the comparison.

Old 05-10-2002, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

wshrdskin,

Aparently you cant read well. The field that we drag raced in at that particular riding spot I only get in my 4th gear for a little while. That is where I said I won the Majority of the races. I also said that In such a short feild it is hard to make up for a bad hole shot every once in a while. Like spinning real bad or wheeling up. When I have enough room to run through all my gears. I pull Raptors in my 4th and 5th gear. Like when I had my Stock DS and I ran a 2002 and a 2001 Stock Raptors. I would start pulling a little in 3rd. And would be walkin away in 4th and 5th. And how would a stock Raptor beat my piped and jetted DS up a hill? I garantee if it is a long hill the DS will walk that Raptor. In stock form those Raptors cant even Hardly pull thier 5th gear on flat ground. And on a hill 5th gear on a Raptor will be useless. While a DS can easily bump the rev limiter in its 5th gear. So when the raptor is stuck in 4th or bogging 5th the DS will be walking away.

Old 05-10-2002, 09:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Whatever. LMAO,
I don't have time to argue with you. LOL I know what I know.

Old 05-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

As the owner of both bikes I'm qualified to say both bikes are pretty even, I dont recall any race being more than +/- 3 lengths (which is alot). I have to believe you beat the 01 raptors cuz of the screwy gearing (changed in 02) thats why your friend on the 02 can run with you. I will admit my DS has pulled some hills my raptor has yet to conquer. All in all awesome rides and we should consider ourselves lucky to own either.

Michael

Old 05-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Man, get over it. i understand about being proud about your performance. and i was with ya until your last post. these quads are very similar. if that was'nt the case, you would'nt be all fired up about beating the raptor.

i hate dragging anyways. too many excuses. &quot;if i had my other gears in&quot; or &quot;other tires&quot; or &quot;when i get my pipe&quot; or &quot;the jettings off&quot;. nothing gets resolved. no-one concedes. and as bad660 pointed out, you very rarely hear about the on that got away.

If you want to try something really interesting. sign up with the AMA and your local MX track or harescramble. where a gate drops. and you need to ride all out for 20 minutes. be careful though. you'll have to get off the seat. and don't be shocked when EX's are railing around you in the turns.

a desert race would admitedly be more suitable for the DS. and that would be much more of a challenge as well. anything is better than dumping the clutch in your back yard. what exactly was the distance? please.

wshrdskin: you tried. so much for meeting him halfway.

Old 05-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

Stock for Stock they arent really equal in a drag race. When my bike was completly stock and I raced my friend (BaD660) 2002 Raptor in a field he would completly destroy me unless we ran from a roll. I would spin(Dominator Tires) and he would pull. So that is when We went to a asphalt road to run and see if his Raptor was just flat out faster than my DS or not. And I would pull him towards the end. Not like flying by him or anything. And he would actually pull on me a lil through his first 2 gears.Now I have Ohtsu Radials which take care of the traction problem .I am not saying they are slow bikes. They arent. And yes for some reason 2002 Raptors do seem to run better than 2001s. I dont know why but they do. On that same Asphalt road BaD660 would take a 2001 Raptor by about 2-3 bike lengths every time. Running from dead stop to top speed.

wshrdskin,
&quot;Stock for stock, you won't find one that will pull away from your DS. 4th and 5th gears? Can't stay with you? Please. I ride with a 2001 DS650 with very similar mods as yours everytime I go riding. We play, we race, we drag. I haven't seen 2 more equal bikes in all my 40 years. He wins some, I win some.&quot;
You have to understand that a Raptor responds to modifications much better than a DS does. In Stock Form A Raptor is tuned down. A Stock Raptor has about 35-36 hp.. A DS can make between 40-42 hp in Stock Form. Now puttin a pipe and jets in a Raptor will give it like 45-47 hp. Putting a pipe and jets on A DS will only make it to about 45-47 hp also. Im not exactly sure on those numbers. So After similar mods they will even out more. So you and your bud with the modded DS. Should run close together. Now I am tryin to meet ya half way on this. Stock for Stock, From my personal Experience, A DS will in most cases pull A Raptor in its higher gears. AFter the modding they even out.

Old 05-11-2002, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor660RNH - I think we think alike.

You guys should try a drag race that has a corner at the end with 15 quads all around you and then you still have the rest of the track to go. Thats racing.

Old 05-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

I like drag racing better because it's easier to do. Obviously not everyone has access to a fullsize MXtrack. Or even a good sized woods. I do think drag racing loses some of it's &quot;toughness&quot; though since it's only quads. I mean look at Nascar vs NHRA. Nascar is fake &amp; NHRA is the 1 on 1 you vs me tough. Draging a quad isn't as cool as piloting a car 300mph in 4+ sec (or even a 5.0 Mustang in 11 sec) it seems boring to some considering you could be racing MX airing out 50ft doubles. I like dragging though. 99% of the people I drag are just funning around with it like I am. Nothing serious, plus it only requires 300ft or more of flat dirt. MX is fun too, though I'm a big jump wimp. I don't either type of race real serious... why? Because I'm really not that good of rider so I can't take it too serious. If I did I couldn't ride good enough to back up what my mouth might say! I'm even so kind I thank people after a drag race, just like when I had my Mustang. What I'm really saying is &quot;Thanks for beating on your machine for everyones entertainment!&quot;
With that I'll add... Time &amp; time again when they are STOCK. Raptor gets the holeshot &amp; if the race is long enough for those stupid Kenda tires to get a good hook the DS will pull in the top of 4th &amp; 5th. Happens every time.

Old 05-12-2002, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Him, piped 2002 Bomb DS Baja, 230 LBS, 6.47.
Me, Piped 2002 Yamaha Raptor 275 LBS, 6.18.
100 YRD sand drag, Heads up during qualifing.

Quick Reply: DS put the hurt on some Raptors and A Cocky 400EX rider.