CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

For those DS riders unhappy with pipe makers who have poor customer service

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Last August I bought an HMF pipe. I was a little worried being no-one else in the 'Bomb forum had one that I'm aware of. I also didn't know about buying from the "little guy" when I could choose WB, FMF, Big Gun etc. I called HMF & they were truthful. They made no crazy claims of 19+HP & the like. They said 2HP on top, lots of low end power. They also said , no it won't be under 94 Db. They were right. It is kinda loud. Not real annoying, like my friends 400EX with a FMF though. The HMF sound is tough, real deep. They weight savings was great, the fit & finish were 100% on. It made the DS alot better trail machine. Much more power down low. The top end power wasn't as much though, but that's OK I can still run down a Raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Since August so far, so good.
I see in the new Dirtwheels HMF now offers a new style (Big Gun like) endcap & spark arrestor. Plus a quiet core & polished can.
My original was never offered in polished aluminum, but just brushed. Looked good, but not as "cool". The other thing was the none removable endcap with turn down spout. This made for a somewhat odd spark arrestor design, but it worked. Anyway I called & talked with them. Kevin was the guy I got to talk with. He was very nice & really want to help. I asked about the endcap mod. He said he'd do it for me if I wanted to send it in. He also told me about the quiet core & polished can etc. I agreed to send it back & upgrade to the polished look, new end cap, spark arrestor & quiet core. I sent my stuff out Thursday & just got it back today. I live in Ohio where HMF is located though to.... I also packed towels in the box for protecting the pipe during shipping. HMF even said the laundered them for free. Anyway the new pipe looks awesome in the polished look. The endcap is a heavy duty quality peice & the spark arrestor looks just like a Big Gun style. Though not forestry approved, though Kevin assured me no-one had ever told him it didn't pass & they couldn't ride. I guess the DNR just wants something screenlike in there. The quiet core is different though, not like a Big Guns. It's shorter & reminds me of something Fourlix might have made. It has small slits cut around it & smaller through hole. When installed I can hear it "bump" a little when I shake the pipe. Nothing bad & nothing the DS won't drown out anyway. I have not tried the pipe yet though, it's still sitting here on the floor. HMF also rewelded the small tab on the pipe that had a small crack in it. Nothing bad, but a small crack none the less.
Too each is own I guess, but the HMF guys have treated me well & make a good product. Plus prices start at $189. But I think polishing & spark arrestor add $40 or so dollars. I upgraded to the new endcap. I would guess all new pipes already have it but I'm not sure so don't hold me to it.
Just thought I'd let you guys know of one pipe maker still interested in customer service & support after the sale.

HMF Pipes

Old 05-06-2002, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You should be on their payroll.
Really though, glad you got treated well.
I read in Dirt Wheels that the spark arrestor cannot be used in conjunction with the quiet core insert. What's up with that? The typical places that require arrestors also have decibal laws...

Old 05-06-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about the Dirtwheels thing... Mine will hold both at the same time.

Old 05-07-2002, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cool. You really gotta question what dirtwheels prints sometimes - the people writing are not the people riding, that's for sure....

Old 05-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, maybe it was a different design before the update? When used together they fit tight (a good thing probably) but they fit. No fight, no fuss.

Old 05-08-2002, 11:17 AM
Range Rover

As for noone else in the forum having an HMF...I've got one! I have to agree with you, I can't see anybody else making a better product for $180. Mine is the older style endcap, and I'm not using a spark arrestor because 80% off my riding is at little sahara. The only thing I wish HMF would do, is put some sort of instructions in the box. Not that installing the pipe needs instructions, it's super easy, but I would have liked some sort of jetting and maintainence information I may need to know right in front of me when I open the box. This wasn't a big deal though, because a simple phone call answered all my questions. I'd reccommend them to anybody.

Old 05-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it is kinda strange no papers. They put their jetting tips on their webpage!
I got the K&N dynojet kit at the same time so I just followed those instructions anyway.

ps> The new polished finish looks great. The brushed was OK, I just like the shine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]