CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New study just out

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having ridden 3 and 4 wheelers for 17 years now I have came up with the theory that about 20% of the ATV crowd are idiots.

*These are the people on these boards that believe that whatever they drive is the best. At least that is what they want you to think. In reality they're feeling insecure with their purchase. Having said this I'm happy that we even have the controversy considering for 10 years all we talked about were shees and 15 year old Honda and Suzuki's.

<u>Here are some other observations that I've made in those 17 years.</u>

If you don't add anything more than a pipe and a jet kit to the motor along with having a good dealership do the service you're quad won't break. I've had a Blaster, Banshee, ATC200e, ATC110, ATC70, and the DS650. Not one of these bikes broke down ever and I beat the hell out of the early ones.

All the ATV's above have been extremely fun. Some of the most fun I had was with the Big Red which I probably jumped higher than the Bomb or shee. During the time that I had the 110 I bet it was pegged 90% of the time. Maybe I'm getting a little older but the Bomb seems to be a little scarier. I could wipe out going full bore on the 110 and be fine. If that happens on the Bomb it's going to hurt baaaad!

Out of all the toys I've had Quads, PWC's, Sports Cars, and motorcycles the quads are by far the best.

Trailering sucks! I used to live in the country and I could ride anywhere I wanted all day long. Now it's 2 hours to the closest location.

Someone elses quad always seems to be cooler. So if the Z400 is the cool thing now than 6 months down the road that won't be the case.

Finally crashing sucks and you always want something faster!

Old 05-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm 28 years old, and I've been riding since I was 12. Here they are, in order - ATC110, ATC200X, ATC250R, KX250, ATC350X, Arctic Cat 300, Arctic Cat 400 4x4, Bomb DS650.
Never had motor troubles, only replaced things like sprockets, wheel bearings, fork seals, and stuff I trashed in wrecks. Just basic stuff, with a few electrical problems needing parts here and there.
I agree, all the bikes are decent, its a matter of preference and function. You get what you like, and what fits you. Its just like comparing Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc.

I ride the Bomb because I'm 6'-8&quot; tall, every quad there is except for the Bomb is in the way of my knees when working the body english. Being tall, I have to use body english more than anybody else to keep the center of gravity as low as possible when turing fast, with the Bomb its much better. This is why I rode 3 wheelers up until it hit the market. I was floored, overjoyed.

By the way, I still got the 350X. 17 years old, all stock except pipe, tires, and plastic. Even the bars can't seem to be destroyed...and she's taken many a roll...

Crashing does suck! The 490 pound wet weight of a DS hurts a lot more than a 300 pound ATC!

Old 05-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

I have also had a few bikes and have wheelied them over on my self in stupid situations but the one time that I brought my Ds over On top of myself I noticed it was alot to try and handle. I manged to get it over on its side with out coming back flat on top of me . But Jesus Christ that thing is a hand full. I have had a PW 50 bike, an SL 70, XR 100, CR 250, 185s 3 wheeler , KLt 250 3 wheeler, 2 go carts and my DS. And none of those other bikes I had fliped on my self ever really hurt.. Or I could usually throw them away from myself. I am about 180 pounds an 6'3. And that DS at times can be a little more than I can handle when it comes un planted from its 4 tires.

Old 05-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

About the Z400 - its a nice bike, basically a hyped up 400 coming out with already high compression, liquid cooled and all the extras, amazingly priced the same as a much less advanced 400EX. With Suzuki's past history (LT250R &amp; LT500R), and working so hard to develop this new performance quad, and doing such a good job with its design while keeping it cost effective for the buyers, I can't believe that they seemed to have borrowed the molds from Yamaha for the front and rear plastic.....I mean really guys, you can't help but notice the fenders - front and rear - are identical to the raptor in every way, shape, and form. Only the grill is different. When I look at the white Z400, I see raptor.

Thumbs up to Bomb, Yam, and Cannondale for not only breaking molds in the motor departments (all 3 did), but keeping their style and looks seperate and original as well.

Old 05-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, Hightower pretty much nailed it with the Z400, If I was to get one, I like the white better, but the color scheme is so close to the raptors,hey maybe they will come out with a blue Z400,, that would be original.!