CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dual 39's on alcohol anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002 | 11:07 PM
|
Pro Rider

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this. I met some guys at Little Sahara this weekend that was running alky on their TM 45s and all they had done was remove their main jet completly and drilled out their pilot jet to .050 dia. Any input input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2002 | 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have done some research on this. I am setting up my 760 with dual 40mm Lectrons. I already have the carbs. I called Fast by Gast back to talk to them about converting my carbs over to Alcohol. They told me that I would have to put a second (it already has one) power jet on the carbs, and also change the needle and seat. I know that this is not the Kehin carbs, but it shows you how much more fuel you would have to put through the carbs.

I know that FTZ performance does alot of stuff with Alcohol. They set up the Kehin carbs for it. If you wanted to talk to a pro, I would call them. If you need their phone #, give me a e-mail.

The other problem that I am concerned with on alcohol is getting that much fuel to the carbs!! That motor is not a cheap one, and I would hate to see a 760 burn up. If you can get a Inferred thermometer (sp), I would use it to check the EGT at the head pipe, because you cannot go by plug readings. Also you have to do twice the maintenance on the bike, draining the fuel and pumping regular gas back through it, plus top end lube,I would not run Alcohol without it.

This would pretty much make the bike a drag bike only!! unless you were to get another set of carbs to run gas, then you could still do some duneing.

This is what I would reccomend, I am not a pro, but have done some research on this matter.

James

Old 05-29-2002 | 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

So you think that if you wanted to swap back and forth (gas to alcohol) you would have to have two sets of carbs....Oh geeze $$$$$$$

Jeff

Old 05-29-2002 | 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

randy i am the guy that was on alcohol. we are get twin carbs like yours. we will put them on alcohol as soon as we get them. i will share the info.

Old 07-01-2002 | 10:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey dsmike have you gotten your carbs yet? I just got back from Aledo and those Raptors are running pretty well on alky. We need to keep the edge on them.

Old 07-01-2002 | 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

hey 650maniac what time does everyone start riding on sunday?
are you going to post an invite on here?
later charles

Old 07-02-2002 | 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

hey maniac i have a 440 on aklky and its not that much problem to run we just carry a spare tankthat was designed to hang on my handle bars and we shut the fuel off from the main tank and turn the flush tank ond your on gas this isading gas only she runs like crap and has no power but it is worth it!!we have a kit on the way for my ds and we will report on it too!!

Old 07-02-2002 | 11:00 AM
Range Rover

FTZ doesn't use keihin carbs at all, they use flatside mikuni(taper bore).the mukuni has a dump tube which is replaceable,giving a wide rang of adjustments.you can see an article in the sand sports mag on their alky carbs.they will send you a copy of it.www.ftzracing.com or(573)334-5439.they also carry 39fcr fot the 400ex,alcohol conversion cost $50 more.they carry39/41.5mm for $195.alky carbs for two strokes for $295.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2002 | 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

<< FTZ doesn't use Kehin carbs at all >>

<< they also carry 39fcr fot the 400ex,alcohol conversion cost $50 more >>

The title to this thread is Dual 39's on alcohol. The dual 39's that is widely used for the DS is the &quot;Kehin FCR 39&quot;. This is the same carb that the 400ex uses. They(FTZ)are one of the biggest user's of alcohol that I know of. From what I here, they have done some BADDA$$ 400ex's on alcohol.They do have a good reputation.

James

Old 07-03-2002 | 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

i have my 39's on alcohol. i put them on alcohol before i ever ran them. i can't tell if it helped much over the 45mm. i still have alot of tuning to do to it. the bike was bogging down on the top end with the 45mm carb. if it stell does it with the 39's does anyone know what else could be wrong with it? the 45 just started doing it last week in the sand. it didn't seem to do it on the pavement.

Quick Reply: Dual 39's on alcohol anybody?