CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Garmin GPS Map 76S, with Altimeter and electronic compass

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically enough,,,I lost my GPS! I have no idea where it went...It was a Garmin E-map, only cost $179 at Wal-Mart, plus a memory chip and cables and the MapSource topo maps brought the whole mess up over $300. I loved it. I used it a lot. I mapped our trails, uploaded them to my computer, copy and pasted them onto my master map which I have used to help keep OHV trails open in our local Gila National Forest. And I friggin' lost it. I've been looking since February.
..... My son and I are about to go on a big trip to Utah, and I have no GPS to document the trails. So, I go looking on the Web for any new innovations in GPS. The e-map wasn't waterproof, it's only major drawback. It has since been discontinued, but is still available through GPScity.com.
.....BUT WAIT! THERE's a HOT NEW MODEL GARMIN GPS MAP 76S!It's more dough, but comes with all the cables and 24mb memory.
GPScity.com has them for $384. It has everything plus a built in Barometric Altimeter and an electronic compass, it's waterproof (dustproof), it floats, and it is flat, unlike the GPS III, and fits in your pocket.
.....So I'm drooling over this new GPS, knowing I couldn't get one in time for the trip anyway, and my son spills the beans, I'm getting one for FATHER'S Day!! It will be here in time to go on the trip. My wife and sons, they're the greatest! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2002, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, that is ironic - lost your GPS.

I was eyeing that same unit. Nice!!! I guess I need to lose my trusty old GPS III before I can upgrade.

Let us know how you like it. Also, have you found a mount for it?

Old 06-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new unit.

I have one of the etrex, cant remember the model. It works well, but I need to use it more. I guess I kind of bought it on a whim.

Bat

Old 06-11-2002, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

There is another very nice new unit from Garmin too. The E-trex Vista has the Barometric Altimeter, Electronic Compass, 24 meg memory, same as the 76S, but is smaller and costs only $315 from gpscity.com.

Old 06-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the etrex Vista and jut love it. Shop around, I paid less then $300 for mine. It has worked well in all types of conditions. Congrats on your new GPS, hope this one hangs around longer for you. BTW any interested in the Vista, www.computers4sure.com has them for 300 bucks not a bad deal.

woodtick