CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

wb skid plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh does anybody know anything about wb skid plates?? just thought i'd ask I was looking at one on ebay but I think i like pro armor better.

northjeepster

Old 06-24-2002, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

I saw that one on ebay. If it's cheap enough, you might as well get it. I think WB is a good company. Although I do have to agree with you, if buying new, I'd go with Pro-Armor

Old 06-24-2002, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A friend of mine recently bought a WB skid - the holes were punched so far off it wouldn't even bolt on the bike. They're also .190 thick, where the proarmor is .250 thick and fits over the top of the stock plastic guard, which sounds to be the ultimate in strength. I'm gonna get the Proarmor, but I haven't experienced them yet so I can't talk it up too much.

Old 06-24-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

IMHO, Pro Armor's are rock solid and rock proof...plus they are also basically 'idiot' proof on the installation side seeing how I was able to install one in just under an hour. All deminsions are spot on...a little pricey, but well worth the saved aggrevation. The only thing I didn't do that I should have (went the whole first weekend thinking the clanking noise was just an integral part of having a swingarm skid plate...)is use thread loc on your nuts and bolts when reassembing, and check your chain tension. You DONT have to remove the axle or brake assembly or anything--just remove, or loosen, and or replace a couple existing bolts with longer ones that Pro Armor provides...and use thread loc. Very nice!

Jim

Old 06-24-2002, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It didn't come with lock-nuts? The stock bolts are, are the Proarmor bolts a different thread keeping you from re-using the stock lock-nuts?

For those of you who get a skid that requires axle removal - you don't have to. just loosen the clamping bolt on the axle nut, loosen the axle nut far enough to get the spring clip from under it, then slide the axlenut/hub assembly over (after removing the caliper), and slide the axle the other way. This way, you can get to all the bolts, but not have to completely remove the axle, whihc requires the removal of a wheel hub - torqued at 180ft.lbs.

Old 06-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Good question, Hightower. ProArmor sends two longer bolts that the OEM lock nuts fit. I don't know why but mine got loose over the course of a weekend and therefore the skidplate became loose plus I needed to tighten my chain...lots of annoying noise for two days...yeah, I'm hard headed sometimes. Plus I get in a hurry and overlook little details often...I'm trying to slow down and pay attention! Anyway, I remember in anticipation of putting on the swingarm skid plate there was a thread where you provided some darn good information regarding the installation of a rear skid...I was glad to find out when I got mine and started intalling it that I didn't even have to loosen the nut you mentioned. You will be able to access all nuts and bolts to install the one from ProArmor.

Jim

Old 06-24-2002, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have the proarmor and it is really nice, however the front a-arms didnt line up with the holes around the shockmount. Doesnt really matter though cause they are snug. The rear skid is solid.